Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 - town lands and fixed penalty notice

• 15-11-2022 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I’ve received a fixed penalty notice for doing 130k in 120k zone on M7. The offence occurred on M7, Ballywilliam (Eastbound), Carrigatoher, Tipperary, according to the notice.

I’ve done a bit of digging in local maps and cannot find Carrigatoher within Ballywilliam town land boundary. Can anyone local let me know where exactly Carrigatoher is located? If it’s not in Ballywilliam, I have a chance of appealing it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't waste your time - the summons can and will be corrected on the day, and you'll get the doubled fine for taking it to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Well I wasn’t gonna go to Court, I was going to bring it to their attention now. I succeeded before for a friend, when she got a FPN from the speed van. I told her to email them to say her side of the white line was not in the town land mentioned on the notice and they cancelled it immediately. It’s worth a try I think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Guessing it’d be around here somewhere

I’ve looked at all the maps but I just can’t narrow it down to the actual town land. I want to be precise before I email them. I’d like to be sure it’s not in Ballywilliam.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

M7, Ballywilliam (Eastbound), Carrigatoher, Tipperary

To me that reads balliwilliam In carrigatoher

On the map balliwilliam appears to be where the m7 crosses the r445

Anyways no harm in pointing out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

On that map the distance between the church in Ballywilliam & Carrigatogher is about 1.5/2km as the crow flies, with the M7 running right through the middle. I’d guess the Ballywilliam townlands might at one stage have been centred around the church. Implying that Carrigatogher is outside the Ballywilliam townlands when they are so close geographically is unlikely to be seen as a valid reason to get out of a ticket.

If you were speeding, I’d recommend taking the points & the fine. Playing games could end up with you pissing off the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Carrigatogher is over 8 sq miles and has dozens of townlands. There are many addresses listed as Ballywilliam, Carrigatoher.

You were caught by the average speed cameras on the M7 I'd imagine, the final eastbound one is in the townland of Ballywilliam, Carrigatoher - you won't find Carrigatoher in Ballywilliam, it's the other way around. This is an error in your reading of the address format.

If you want to see townland boundaries, look at old maps. Obviously motorways don't appear on old maps, but if you use the OSI GeoHive maps you can figure it out. First map is the townland of Ballywilliam. The road is the old N7. Second map is the same area as it is now, with the M7 on it.

Edit: image 3 shows the final average speed camera location in red, with the Ballywilliam boundary in yellow. The camera is in Ballywilliam as you can see, and you've gotten yourself 3 points and a €160 fine.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I’m gonna chance it, it’s on the FPN as Ballywilliam, Carrigatoher (not Carrigatogher). I’ve nothing to lose, I have 28 days to appeal to the Garda FPN office before I have to pay up, might as well. I’ll report back on the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're wrong. It's acceptable as Carrigatoher or Carrigatogher. Like Kilcurley/Kilkerley in Louth and many others. You're misreading the address format too. But God lives a trier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement