Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread Nov 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I like Jess's slot on the PK show. Now I'm not an IT geek or massively tech savvy so don't know how knowledgeable she actually is, but she usually explains listeners questions well, gives a decent overview of new products and is fairly inoffensive overall.

I don't really get the negativity she's gets on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭QueensGael

That recurring slot on The Hard Shoulder where Regina Doherty and Mick Barry debate an "issue", Jesu$ wept, it makes for woeful radio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Must say I quite enjoy it but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Likewise the Friday Forum, random inoffensive politicians and heads of quangos smelling each others farts.

• Advertisement

Lol. Ciara going all out to be sensitive to a trans activist put her foot right in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bike2wkr

Yes she's very good. I like listening to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Who? Ciara Kelly? Surely not!

I-I-I-I just-just-just wo-wo-wo-wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Nobody is putting Graham Linehan live on the air these days! Recent interviews include:

1. News at one on Sunday RTE - pre-record

2. The Hard Shoulder, Newstalk (now) - pre-record

• Advertisement

Why not live?

Are they afraid people will burn the building down?

I suspect his opinions make them uncomfortable and they are concerned he might drop them in it, both of which are ridiculous

A bigger shock is a broadcaster outside of this island actually wanted Tubbers!

He seems to have actually thought about it anyway as opposed to the black and white attitude that is rammed down our throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭TheBMG

And thought about it and thought about and thought about it and thought about it

Can you blame him? His career destroyed because of his opinions. Anyone who tries to make an argument by saying " change this word for that word and say that sentence again and see how it sounds" as a means to shut down debate deserves nothing but derision

Imagine that - changing the words in a sentence (even one) can change it's meaning 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bike2wkr

No Jess Kelly I mean. Ciara Kelly is fine too .

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭TheBMG

He 100 percent blew his own life up and it’s a cautionary tale of social media addiction.

Coleman went off in one about one off housing again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭animalinside

They're not that ridiculous. Frankly to me Linehan seems to be treadling the line between saying things that aren't politically correct but are true and being a shock jock, tabloidy kind of guy then claiming it ruined his entire career.

He said he doesn't know how Graham Norton can sleep at night because he won't "speak up" about the issue, this was when he really jumped the shark for me. You can't drag someone into a discussion out of nowhere like that.

You shouldn't use a position of fame to push your political viewpoints and if you do, you can expect to be disliked by the community you're working in. If you have personal views, you can talk about them in your autobiography or something. I'm also totally against puberty blockers.

I don't know the details but it doesn't pass the sniff test to me. Norton is doing his own thing and not part of his cause, I mean what if he started supporting starving children in Africa and used that to call Norton out saying he doesn't know how Norton can sleep at night not using his platform to speak out about it. Any way Linehan drives attention to himself will increase sales of his book. So I'm not buying it, literally and metaphorically.

It's actually very noble in some ways to do this, speaking out against puberty-blockers, surgeries and this type of thing. Then he'll get a new audience of supporters hopefully. He gets credit for that, but he can't also complain about getting cancelled about it since that's a part of having views like that, calling random people out is very strange. There is no reason to believe Norton is smart on this issue, let the man in peace.

• Advertisement

I agree on that point. Norton should not be part of this discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What did Norton do or say?

Anything outside of his nice part of Dublin, well connected by public transport bubble he just doesn't understand. Property is unaffordable or being sat on to increase in value in towns and he expects people looking to buy a home to move to urban areas? Preachy "let them eat cake" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hear hear, I don't know if he truly believes half the shite he spouts as he just comes across as a contrarian for the sake of it.

He gets all riled up about it. Any chance he gets, he goes on about how atrocious it is that people live in stand alone houses in the country, even on their own land. He gets all worked up. He was on about banning fires in homes recently as well. He's an awful clown.

Everything he says is virtue signalling. During the world cup in rugby he was asked his favourite anthem.."Amhran na bFhiann", says Shane, missing the bleedin' point altogether

Shane doesn't like "scary" cops on the streets, just sound ones you can ask directions from. What an absolute wetwipe.

I think he may have been a serious journalist once, but the Sunday Tribune shut down a long time ago!

Now he's a joke. As Blackadder once said: " he's wetter than a haddock's bathing costume"

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Starbucks Toilet Code 2846

I don't know about negativity, but the whole slot is misplaced on analogue media; tech queries are naturally suited to online forums by definition, and because the queries are usually too specific to be generalisable. Other newstalk contributors will tell you why you might have anxiety or eczema, and what to do in the garden in November, but what the hell is wrong with your specific Apple XR and why can't it print on a Samsung Printer? NOBODY CARES.

Jess Kelly is a good broadcaster, but is wasting her time doing this stuff in an increasingly online world. I reckon she's only hanging out at Newstalk in the hope of securing a more substantial role like Futureproof - but McCrea has twice her JNLR figures, and is a young-ish man with very good scientific competence, as well as being able to handle the tech stuff. I don't mind Jess Kelly at all, I just can't see why any young tech-savvy person sees their future emailing callers about their gadgets in a radio station.

• Advertisement

Let's not be beastly to the marginalised young men who like incinerating buses and smashing up shops and taking things without paying.

Advertisement