Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why does 'this type of person' get such phenomenal amounts of media coverage

• 03-11-2022 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭

Am referring to recent media frenzy around Fr something or other down in Kerry who is anti LGBT; and then a few weeks and months back (as it did drag on and on and on) the schoolteacher chap who refused to recognise Trans people, and was breaching a barring order placed on him approaching the school (I think thats what happened).

What I cant understand here is -how do these guys get such phenomenal amounts of news print - its off the scale. And I would imagine, for gay people and for trans people its all very upsetting - but the fact is that there are nutjobs out there, always were, always will be.

Why do we have to put them front and centre as if they are part of some sort of national debate... for me this is just clickbait from the press.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Its cheap to generate, does not require great deals of investigation and it generates clicks and controversy for the media.

Id a pint a few years ago with the local priest down home, great chat with the guy. He'd zero interest in going fire & brimstone and lgbt politics with people.

He was very aware of the history of the church, and he was very clear that he wouldn't direct people how to live. He said those days were gone.

Who is interested in him. Bloody nobody. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Hungry Burger

The media in our country is very left leaning and in my opinion, are on a moral crusade. Not to say what the priest said was anywhere near right, but to me it’s a non story. If it was an Imam saying the same in a Mosque somewhere in the country you wouldn’t hear a squeak from the media.

Advertisement