Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Energia

• 03-11-2022 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else got their credit for November? I ask as I just seen mine and Energia are applying VAT on it so its not 200 at all. What a load of horsesh1t. How can VAT be applied to what is essentially a tax credit.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That's the way the energy credit is supposed to work. VAT is calculated on the bill's total, but the credit is a pre-VAT line item. So it wouldn't make sense for a line item on the bill (before VAT) - whether it's a credit or a debit - to include VAT. By taking €183.49 off the pre-VAT amount, your're saving €200 off the total amount that you would pay if you didn't have the €183.49 credit. The credit reduced the amount you're paying VAT on, so your saving is more than the amount that you are actually physically given, since VAT is a percentage, not a fixed amount.

You should see a ‘credit line’ on your bill in the amount of €183.49 (this is €200 excluding VAT). The total payments will be €550.47 across the 3 instalments.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/utilities/electricity_account_credit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It was made VERY VERY clear that the €200 was inclusive of vat. So unless by some magic or come scam and you are the only person not paying vat on electricity, you are getting a totally free €200 from the government off your electricity bill - but you WHINE about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

lets be clear its not free a lot of people pay a lot of taxes for this. I asked the question and it was answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭lizzyjane

Pre pay power still yet to issue customers with the credit, I thought it was suppose to be issued on the 1st of November?

Clearly I didnt read the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's the big print on their home page you need to read:

Our customers will receive their first Government Electricity Credit between November 1st -11th.

https://www.prepaypower.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

We rang energia yesterday to switch to them and we're informed due to the current environment they are not accepting switchers at the moment. Now this for business customer electricity but still. This was after we were transferred to 4 different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There won’t be many providers left by the end of this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I'm in credit on my provider just looked.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Current Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Since you feel so hard done by you should give it back and save those tax payers 600e. Or maybe just give it to me,an underpaid public servant 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Underpaid by all measure you lot are over paid I showed you and your brethern up over on a different thread and you were all getting nasty when the facts that you are paid about 20% more than the private sector and showing your rates of pay going up by more than inflation yet when inflation goes up you want your wages to match it for a particular year, but the previous 7 years where your wage out paced inflation if fine. Go on back to your clock watching and increment yourself and stop interfering with other threads, good boy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fliball133 has received warning points for the above post. Do not reply to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Why?

Unlike the UK, most providers here have generation divisions. Also, unlike the UK, suppliers here can lock in supply contracts for up to 2 years (therefore many businesses can get 2 year fixed rates - mine ends in March) and unlike the UK they can increase (and decrease) prices in their own time

In the UK where dozens went bust last year (funny - it didn't happen in other countries) suppliers could only forward buy 3 months in advance, many were purely resellers and prices could only be changed twice a year. (up and down) So when prices went crazy these resellers had to pay the massive hikes in prices, but could not pass these increases on for several months, thus they went bust.

as for the poster looking to switch to energia - they are the generally most expensive on the market for their standard rates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

Ireland lost 4 suppliers in the past year or so. It leaves about 12 still in business, that's a fair percentage of a loss. Energia was up to a few weeks ago the cheapest night rate on the market with their EV plan and it was a fixed rate for 12 months not a fixed discount https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058257364/best-d-n-tariffs/p1

Yes the daytime rates are expensive but it was geared for people in a certain market which if you look at the thread in renewables it got a lot of switchers who use mostly night rate due to their solar systems and batteries so don't use many daytime units.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement