If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hollow party wall?

  • 01-11-2022 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

    Looking at a 3 bed semi in Malahide. Last time I was in the property I realised the party wall sounded hollow. Now I am a little nervous about sound insulation or lack therefore.

    I've read it could be plasterboard on batten wall or dot and dab. But I don't know which. The house was built in the late 80s. Anyone any idea on what was most common at that time? And does this indicate that sound insulation will definitely be a problem? I'd rather not be able to hear my neighbours conversations, or they mine.

    Post edited by RurtBeynolds on


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

    Probably dot and dab. That always sounds hollow. Carries the sound big time too. If you want soundproof dot and dab is far from it. But to be honest good sound proofing in and property attached to another is never possible. If its a semi, then you are totally dependent on the habits of your neighbours when it comes to what you hear.

    People just get used to the sounds from attached properties after they have lived there for a while. Its just life.

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 35,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    Find out what the construction is.

    If it’s a solid block party wall then the plasterboard may only be there as a finish.

    It could very well be timber frame.

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Flinty997

    I would be surprised if its not solid block, dot and dab plasterboard finish.