Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grinder recommendation for Clever Dripper

• 29-10-2022 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭

Any good recommendations to get a consistent medium fine grind?

Budget about €150.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Krupps make a decent grinder about €70, they have been on every best value list for years now, uses a conical burr grinder, nit blades btw. Other than that you are into 4 figures with pro equipment. I’m getting a krupps at long last so moving away from blade grinders which though cheap and cheerful do not provide a consistent grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I use a wilfa uniform with my clever - find it great - 299 at coffee angel

https://coffeeangel.com/products/wilfa-uniform-grinder-wsfbs-100s

Maybe the wilfa svart as a more budget choice - but I haven't used one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I moved my Wilfa Svart to work to grind for my Clever Dripper/v60. Would recommend especially given the price point. The grind can be kind of inconsistent but the Clever is so forgiving. It's a nice automatic option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

What a timely thread- I’ve a v60 on order and want to start coffee grinding for the first time- I want to future proof it though for when I might get a decent espresso maker - from initial reading up, consistent grind and ability to go extra fine is key for when using a lot of good espresso makers? Is that true?

Might have to settle for a budget grinder for the time being though so thanks for the recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

There is no such a thing as future proof. Just get what you need now.

There is no way you will appreciate expensive grinder without having budget grinder first.

Here is the great universal grinder ( espresso and filter , 64 mm flat burrs , huge coffee community with tricks and modifications, could take famous 64mm burrs from different manufacturers, some set of burrs could cost as much as grinder on its own.)

Post edited by alec76 on

• Advertisement

Budget grinder it is so- thanks- anything in particular you’d recommend?

Right, I’ve gone off and done my homework and I’m down to just two.

1. Sage Smart Grinder pro OR
    2. Kitchenaid Artisan Coffee Grinder

The kitchenaid is the newer model with the digital display- I’ve seen one detailed review and it’s recommended for Turkish / espresso - funilly enoigh the reviewer said it didn’t do such a fine job on coarse

I really can’t decide- price wise there’s just 25 or so euro in the difference with kitchenaid being cheaper

While I don’t have an espresso machine right now. It’s good to know the kitchenaid will support me well when I eventually get one

I like the look of the kitchenaid slightly better - Sage is older but tried and tested

Aaaafgghhhhh- can’t make up my mind 😂

PS- I also considered the Sage Dose control and another popular lower priced grinder but have since ruled them out

Update- on new Kitchenaid Artisan digital burr-after looking at Amazon.com reviews over the last 6 months there’s 7% 1 star reviews which is significant- it appears that when especially choosing espresso setting the grinder develops a fault over time and extensive cleaning is required which may not even sort the issue.

in addition the coarse grind is criticised a lot

I would have loved the kitchaid from an aesthetic perspective and also the brand itself but I’m reluctant now to go this route and may have to stick with the tried and tested Sage which comes up trumps in all reviews at this price point

Sage products are quite popular unwanted gifts . There is good chance you’ll find boxed Sage on Adverts for half price.

I would go for Wilfa svart instead though . Great cheap grinder for filter.

Just buy second proper grinder for espresso after. You think you could use one grinder for both but in reality you need two. Switching from filter to espresso and back is very wasteful( by the time you’ll get proper settings) especially if beans €12-15 for 250g.

Sage is very average grinder for filter and less than average for espresso.

ps

decent grinder from proper coffee brand . 10% off.

Could go from filter to espresso. Not for both at same time though.

Post edited by alec76 on

Thanks for the advice and reply. I actually looked at the Wilfa svart but just didn't warm to it after looking at some detailed online blog reviews. The Mignon zero is way out of the price range I'm prepared to pay at this time but certainly one to keep in mind in the future.

I had a look at adverts and donedeal- not much in the way of value in second hand or boxed new grinders right now.

For my research, the Sage just keeps appearing high up on all of the lists of coffee grinders in the circa 200 euro category - I was also quite impressed by this detailed blog of the Sage over 5 years

Edit- Saying all of that, if the Wilfa uniform, mentioned above was more like 200 euro, I'd actually probably buy that as it looks great and seems to do the job very well

The Fellow Ode also looks like a super grinder but again much above my budget

• Advertisement

So, final update. I'm not going to buy a grinder at this time. Reasons are:

1. I have just received my new V60, filters, jug, goose neck kettle and also a lovely new mocha-pot/stove top expresso maker.
    2. I need to learn about what coffees I like- getting distracted with coming to grips with a grinder at this point is an additional challenge I don't need right now.

So, for the moment, I'm going to enjoy my new manual coffee devices, start ordering some pre-ground coffees - some for pour on and some for stove top, and sit back and learn.

Thanks all for the advice- better not to buy when you're too much in doubt but at this early stage, I've learned a lot about coffee and haven't even started my journey yet.

Smart choice, you might consider to get good manual grinder , handy while traveling.

Well actually, someone gave me a basic manual grinder years ago- hardly used it so I'm going to dust it down from the press. Likely it's not anything brilliant but I'm going to choose a small bag of beans and see what magic I can produce. I've lots to learn but this little start by buying the bits and pieces of equipment is a great little hobby for 2023 and I'll be a coffee bore before I know it 🤣 I totally recommend for people starting out to start small.

And good riddance to pod machine coffee- never really enjoyed it but it was so handy throughout lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

what is the manual grinder?

Non electric, hand grinder.

TIMEMORE Chestnut C2, Comandante C40

etc.

I’ve heard you could get their decent clones at Aliexpress for the fraction of the price.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

haha, no, I meant what one had he got - I know what they are :D

Not sure- it’s old fashioned style - long arm leaver arm at top, sliding curved lid to pop in beans- burr grind, chrome overall and wooden base - about 7 inches high and less than 3 inches diameter or so

Not unlike this one except Chrome top and bottom with black wooden base- given to me as a present about 20 years ago- getting beans delivered soon so can't wait to try it out

https://baristawarehouse.com.au/products/hario-coffee-mill-column-wood

Post edited by Oscar_Madison on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Got this recently for work pour over........really good grinder.

https://www.coffeeshop.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=541

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Anyone know how to post a NSFW pic here?

shit I thought this was a g*y p*rn thread going by the title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭2011abc

Oscar Madison I think the grinder should come first. Beans kick the a55 of ground .Some say the deterioration starts at under 30 seconds and while I mightn’t take that as gospel after a week or two it’s got to count .A Timemore C2 is starting point at around €70 .Manual grinders will be as good as electric ones at least double if not treble the money so an electric one is going to cost serious bucks ( and then maybe you should have got a Commandante manual grinder ….)

Anyway I’ve posted elsewhere that beans are probably the biggest variable so while trying to get the best out of a €5-10 euro 250g bag is a learning experience for the real pleasure you need to up the budget in the €12-20 range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Few recommendations for Wilfa Svart in the thread. FWIW I had two fail within the warranty period. The first was replaced no questions asked once I sent a quick vid of what was happening during grind, and when the second failed the website I had bought from had stopped stocking them entirely such were the number of issues they had to deal with in after sales. More or less gave me an immediate full refund once I had sent them a quick vid again. Bought a Fellow Ode. Going strong.

Advertisement