Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenic drive in west Galway county?

• 27-10-2022 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello guys,

I've always been interested in driving some of the more scenic parts of Ireland so around the start of December I'm keen to try and explore more of Galway. I will be staying in Galway city but keen for some nice scenic drives in the west of the county. While I could go Moycullen / Clifden, is there much extra to be seen by going by Iverin, Ardmore, Roundstone, Ballyconneely, then into Clifden?

Also, is there much to be seen by going up to Letterfrack, Leenaun, Finny / Maum?

Keen for any suggestions. Distance / time isn't an issue as I love driving.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If you get going as far as Clifden, take in the Sky road, and go back via Kylemore Abbey, Killary Harbour, Leenane, and Maam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Oughterard, Recess, Inagh Valley, Letterfrack, Tully Cross, Lettergesh, Killary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

The beaches south of Clifden, around Ballyconneelly are stunning., same around Carna and Omey Island north of Clifden. There’s a lively wall to be enjoyed around Omey, but get the tides right or car and yourself will be swamped with water

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fergus_O

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SPC1759

Here’s a route for North Connemara mountain scenery.

Head up the N59 toward Clifden through Moycullen and Oughterard. Continue straight ahead on the N59 at Maam Cross toward Recess (Sraith Salach). Immediately after Recess, turn right onto the R344 Inagh Valley road, running beside Lough Inagh between the Twelve Bens and Maamturks mountains. Watch out for sheep wandering on the road, or lying in the middle of it.

At the end of the R344, you join the northern section of the N59. Turn left toward Clifden, which takes you beside Kylemore Lough and past Kylemore Abbey.

Continue on the N59 through Letterfrack to Clifden and do the Sky Road loop (start at the Clifden end of the loop for maximum effect). Then return on the N59 to Letterfrack before turning left toward Renvyle and Tully Cross.

Turn right at Tully Cross church onto the Connemara Loop coast road toward Lettergesh. Look out for Lettergesh and Glassilaun beaches, which are well worth a stop. Continue to the N59 and turn left to Leenaun, going past Killary Fjord.

Consider a detour from Leenaun into Mayo to see Aasleagh Falls, Delphi Valley and Doolough.

Back in Leenaun, turn off toward Maum along the Maum Valley. Consider a detour to the left toward Finny beside Lough Nafooey.

At Maum, either turn right back to Maam Cross or continue toward Cong via Cornamona, overlooking the northern end of Lough Corrib. From Cong, return to Galway via Headford.

South Connemara’s lovely too, less mountainous but some great driving roads hugging the indented coast. I like going from Maam Cross to Carna via Screebe and Kilkieran, then on to Clifden via Roundstone and Ballyconneely. All that’s worth a separate trip.

Enjoy - all you need is the weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Inagh valley right up to Kylemore from Recess is the nicest drive in Connemara in my opinion. The road from Leenane to Louisburg along Doo Lough in Mayo is also absolutely stunning. The Sky Rd near Clifden is nice too.

I am not a big fan of South Connemara but Dogs bay is gorgeous.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭byrne249

Just want to second that drive from Leenaun through Doolough out to Louisburgh, it's a classic driving road, not to be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I once supposedly brought someone for a drive without leaving the house. The wife said I was driving her up the wall.

Advertisement