Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conflicting information regarding duty on classic UK imports?

• 22-10-2022 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Bought a 1991 VW from the UK, arriving this week. Done my research prior regarding all associated costs, also called the people over at CarClear.ie who will be dealing with all paperwork to obtain SAD document. They told me that because the car is 30+ years, I will only be liable for VAT @ 23%. Called into the NCT to collect VRTVPD2 form, and they were adamant that the 10% duty will also need to be paid.

I've seen a few conflicting posts on here of people saying duty will/won't have to be paid on a classic so I don't have a clue.

Anyone have any experience to clear up the confusion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Technically -

Duty of 10% and a reduced rate of VAT of 13.5% are due, as a 30 year old car is deems a collectable and does not fall under the same TARIC code as a newer car.

In practice - a lot of clearance agents just put it through as 23% VAT and 0% duty as revenue are amenable to this.

The second option is slightly cheaper - but it will work out pretty similar either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Black Passion

Update;

Customs agent put it through as 23% VAT and 0% duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

How about if the car was made in England originally? Is duty 0% and VAT 13.5%? Im thinking something like an Essex Capri as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

It’s not just about being made in England, it’s also to do with where the components were made - and whoever is exporting the car has to declare it qualifies under the country of origin exemption.

That said - from what I can see it’s only an exemption you can claim on brand new cars, used cars are not exempt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement