Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Million Ways to Lose in the West (Conn v Lein)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,297 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very nearly a fantastic kick from where he was and into the wind. Unfortunately just drifted the wrong side of the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Is there any reason Leinster didn't use their bench? Is it a strategy or they just don't trust them to finish the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Connacht have been the most effective team in disrupting Leinsters ball this season. But in attack they were utterly dreadful. Leinster read their attacking patterns and Ringrose especially made some big hits behind the gainline.

Thought Carty had a stinker.

As someone mentioned - a more interesting game than the score suggested. Connacht's Line speed and defensive line out did a number on Leinster, Leinster's discipline cost them a huge amount of territory, definitely some frustration in their play in the last 20 minutes of the first half.

Halves let Leinster down giving away block downs, Ross Byrne had a game to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

They used all their bench in good time bar mckee and frawley.

I agree they don't seem to trust mckee and worry that sheahan is racking up the minutes cos of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Your second paragraph is spot on. Connacht showed how to disrupt Leinster but when they had their chances they did very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

10 seconds doesn't count. It's just stat padding. Sheahan is a great player, are Leinster trying to condition him for resilience? Or is McKee just making up the numbers.

Even when munster had academy players on the bench we usually give them at least 10 mins

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Dan Sheehan is a phenomenal athlete, but I think Kelleher has a better skill set for a hooker, especially with his darts.

The problem is Kelleher is made of glass lately but I really don’t think the line out malfunctions as much in the first if he’s throwing instead of Sheehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,297 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just inaccurate. Made plenty visits to the Leinster 22 but would produce a knock on, concede a penalty or get shoved into touch with the try line gaping. Have to give credit to Leinster's defence as well but Connacht will be disappointed with not converting possession and territory into any scores. Not even one score.

Scrappy dogfight of a game, which Leinster regularly seem to get dragged into now in Galway.

Connacht made life hard for Leinster, especially out of touch, but their attacking shape was really poor. The big loopy passes out the back very easily telegraphed and usually led to lost yardage. Dunno if Connacht had a line break in the 80 minutes that I can recall.

Ringrose had an excellent first half - smashed Carty and Fitzgerald in tackles and also sat Carty on his arse with great footwork on another occasion. Sheehan was excellent again in the loose.

Murray Kinsella reckoned on TV James Ryan was calling the lineouts and was blaming some of the lineout struggles on that. I don't know if that's true, but I don't think we lost a lineout after he went off and presumably Molony was calling them. Ryan had been solid and physical around the park though before the injury.

Cormac Foley had a ropey night. Passing was poor too many times, and I wanted to scream at how easy he kept making it to get charged down.

JvDF deserved MotM. Joe McCarthy had some huge carries when introduced, and Andrew Porter had the Connacht scrum in pieces (even if, as usual, he could scarcely buy a penalty out of Frank Murphy there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭ersatz

Frawley, Henshaw, Porter, Ala’alatoa, McCarthy and Moloney all subbed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

You'll note I agreed mckee wasn't used.

Frawley ( who's only coming back from injury) came on at 70. Rest were on before 60.

And I think it's safe to say Porter, Henshaw, Alatoa are established.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Six of the Leinster subs were on the pitch by sixty minutes. McKee is a fair old step down from Sheehan. Seems clear they don’t fully trust him yet. If Tracy or Kelleher were fit they’d be brought on earlier.

And, in a close game, you’ve got to leave one sub until the last ten minutes in case of a late injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Interesting to see someone proposing Kelleher for his darts. Possibly the weakest aspect of his game. Absence does indeed make the heart grow fond.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I thought his darts improved immeasurably. I've never been convinced by Sheehan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

For the most part Sheehan is far more accurate with his darts than Kelleher. Though he has had a few games where he got picked apart.

Having not seen the game tonight, I can’t comment on his darts in that game. I would say though that Murray and Thornbury are a pretty lethal defensive combination in the lineout. Which may have been a factor tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, very disappointing given all the stellar work they did in open play defense and in spoiling Leinster's line out. That one pass from the ruck on the line that ended up in touch in front of Hansen was the one that got away.

Leinster's lineout issues stem from the call/lift rather than the throw. Connacht read Leinsters intentions and had a jumper in the air ahead of the intended recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The stats tell the whole story for me. Connacht had 46% possession, made feck all ground (184m to Leinsters 534m), beat few defenders (4 to Leinsters 28), made no clean breaks and yet had 66% territory.

So much of their territory and attacking opportunities came from Leinster penalties and little was actually created by their doing. And yet we kept giving them those opportunities. Similar to the game in Ravenhill where we could have pulled away but got sloppy and allowed Ulster back into it. We need to learn to keep our heads better because we seem to be developing a habit of compounding errors with errors and giving opposition teams entry into games. We were lucky that the lead we’d built up in Belfast was enough given the conditions. We were lucky today that Connacht couldn’t turn all those opportunities into anything. We won’t always be so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's mad that Connacht got a number of penalties deep in Leinster territory but didn't take a single kick at goal all night. When you're stuck on zero points, surely you want to get the scoreboard ticking at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Connacht lost but it was some performance

The problem for Connacht is next week they won't bother showing up and lose at home to Scarlets etc

The issue for Connacht is never putting up a performance for a game v Leinster, it's for putting the same levels into a game v Scarlet or Osprey or Treviso when they should win.

Hopefully they will take the last two performances and keep it close to that every week during the season and they will be back in Europe. They have a lot of the shi**y fixtures out of the way now

It is a pity they didn't get a losing bonus as they deserved it.

Correct. If their normal pattern is maintained, then their next peak performance will probably be in late November when they visit Munster, especially if Bundee is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭OldRio

All the talk about the ref is embarrassing. He did well. Communicated with the players and used his assistants a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

The ref was fair to both sides. Im no fan of his but can't see why anyone would have an issue with him. Always seems to be the same people moaning about the ref by the way, no matter which ref it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Your surprise makes me surprised... I am just waiting for Clegg to turn up to say that the fact that the referee was not surprised enough that your surpriseness about my lack of surpriseness... is a total travesty...

hold on... need to go back and check surprise....

You are a strange person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

and all you do is complain....

Advertisement