Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upskill from hospitality

• 25-09-2022 4:37am

Has anyone here successfully upskilled from working in hospitality to working in some other industry?

I've been working in hospitality for a few years now and quite frankly I'm sick of doing it. Thankfully my colleagues are nice, but that's about the only good thing about the job. I hate having to get up stupidly early in the mornings, especially now coming into the winter when it's cold and there's no morning sunlight.

Ideally, I would like to get a work from home job, but I have no idea what industries I should look into and more importantly what I should study to get to my end goal. Ideally I like to do and online course or one. That means I don't have to move away from where I am living as I am pretty much fixed where I am currently living at the moment.

My highest level of education is QQI level 5 with distinctions in business studies and I did a very short course in hospitality where I got my HACCP food safety qualification and did some barskills.

I've had a look on springboard but even when I search for undergraduate courses it's showing me level 8. Plus I still have no idea what qualification might be the best for moving towards my end goal.

Sorry about the long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Phil92

I did this over the course of a couple years recently. The hardest pill to swallow was that even after years of working as a chef, there are very very few companies in the office based food industry that will take on someone with hospitality who doesn't have any significant office experience or a degree. I must have done 30+ interviews in various places.

I took a food production job that gave a better work/life balance and ended up applying for the civil service. Took a long time to get in but I've already been promoted and have my department paying for me to get a legal degree part time.

Best option for you if you can drive might be to look for sales rep positions- Redmonds, Conaty, La Rousse, Musgraves and the like. If you're really sick of hospitality than you could potentially do something like construction or retail while doing a course part time.

I did myself years ago. I worked in the service (not hospitality) industry, hated the long hours but the pay was decent so it was a tough decision. I moved into IT as a software engineer after doing a level 8 in UCD. I work from home mostly, so roll out of bed at 8:45 to log on for 9. I've doubled my salary and do less than half the hours. It was a really tough slog but upskilling worked out in the end.

Research what careers are in demand, how much they are likely to pay and what the work involves. If you've a level 5 you only need to jump two more levels to reach a degree.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Can you go talk to a career guidance person? There are loads of jobs out there at the moment. It'll be hard to find one that's 100% work-from-home. A lot of offices want people in 50% or so at this stage. If you went into a recruitment agency and got help with your CV they could find you something. A lot of places value experience over qualifications, especially in sales roles. You might have to take a pay cut for a while before you get to the salary you're currently at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Went from Chef, Hospitality to CO. It has given me a new lease on life!

Advertisement