Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming Hernia Repair Surgery

Options
  • 20-09-2022 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, first off let me clarify I am not looking for medical advice. I have a date for laproscopic inguinal hernia repair, I need to get it done and have been putting it off long enough. Just wondering if anyone here who has had this done would be willing to share their experience of the surgery. I am absolutely dreading it being honest, I've never been in hospital before and never been under general anaesthetic. I also have a slight fear of needles, I can give blood etc but the cannula they put in the back of your hand looks really painful, how does this compare to say giving blood from the arm?. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Cannula's aren't painful at all and they're really handy if you have a fear of needles as they'll only need to put it in once and then can administer any further intravenous drugs through it for the entirety of your stay. They pinch a tiny bit if you bend your wrist too far but that's all.

You've nothing to be scared of. Granted I haven't had a hernia repair done but I have been in hospital for major surgery under general anesthetic.

You won't remember a thing of the surgery and your pain will be carefully managed post op.

The HSE gets a lot of stick in the press but the frontline workers in the hospitals are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

What techniques have you found work for you in other uncomfortable situations. I think its about managing your fear. Sometimes knowing it will be over quickly helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Try and get a nurse to do it , they are much better than junior docs but it’s really no more that a pinch at worse ,

I never look , and most importantly make sure you are well hydrated , makes it a lot easier to find a vein

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭POBox19

Had a cannula the other week, no worse than donating blood or a regular blood test. Bit of a sting for a second, use your spare hand to pinch your leg that will be worse and will distract from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Had a double hernia operation in 2019. Not a bother. First time ever getting knocked out. Was slightly painful for a day or two after but it's been perfect ever since. Cannula is nothing to be scared of. Tis but a scratch!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement