Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aviation restrictions in the London area

• 14-09-2022 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Looks like a lot of flight restrictions are being brought in for the funeral of Her Majesty.

The latest one I spotted was this one from Heathrow Airport:

Out of respect for the period of mourning following the passing of Her Majesty The Queen, some flights between 13:50–15:40 on Wed 14 Sept will be disrupted to ensure silence during the ceremonial procession.

There seems to be a fairly straightforward divide between those who think this is the right decision and those whose travel plans are directly affected.

I always thought HRH was in the "show must go on" category.....

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I was in London yesterday. For anyone going there in the next few days they were saying there will be a lot of restrictions in place until after next Monday.

I’m aware this has nothing to do with flights but just giving people the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The weather is calm... is there any possibility of them running westbound departures off the south runway and eastbound arrivals on the north runway... or is that way outside what is acceptable?

Restricting Heathrow and cancelling flights is a bit much and would she have wanted that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Yesterday Heathrow had aircraft arriving on 09L. Northolt, just up the road, had both goverment and royal flights arriving from BHD and EDI on runway 07. As priority was understandably given to Northolt a lot of holding was required in the afternoon/evening at LHR.

Today currently landing 09L and departing 09R. We shouldn't see many delays. LCY airport will have some delays. Again it will be all down to the wind direction. Last week, Sept 4, there was a few runway changes on that day.

On Monday, depending on the wind direction, under normal operations landing will be 27L up to 3pm or 09L all day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not only are they cancelling flights, the airlines are not obliged to provide rebookings or refunds. You'd imagine they would in a sign of good faith but God it's crazy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I agree with the last line.

However I think the the issue/confusion/friction evident here is that such an event hasnt happened in 70 years.

The UK are following protocol from the Victorian era for a 21st century society.

Ive seen a tweet that Sainsbury disable the "beep" on self service tills "out of respect"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They also asked the various heads of state to use commercial flights instead of state planes or whatever. I imagine there will be a VC-25 ignoring that, at least. They also don't want them travelling around London by helicopter. I suppose there will be plenty of security helicopters in the air already and loads of others might be too much.

Advertisement