Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morrissey INEC 24th September

• 01-09-2022 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Anyone else going?

Odd venue choice for his only Irish gig this year but that's Morrissey.

He still has an amazing voice and his back catalogue is second to none so should be a good gig.

Morrissey - Gleneagle INEC Arena Killarney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ya, bought tickets the day they came out & expected it to be sold out immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Nah he wouldn't sell out INEC, it's a bit leftfield and far away for many.

I get the impression Morrissey picks his venues and prefers places off the beaten track.

Either way he's a legend of music and we are lucky he still performs with all his health scares recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

My OH is a big Smiths/Morrissey fan.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any accommodation available in Killarney for that night. Is there something else on there that weekend?

Few hotels there taking in the Ukrainians so there's your answer to that.

How about a Hostel? Loads in Killarney and availability. Only staying there one night like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There must be something else on, because I booked the day it was announced and rooms weren't that plentiful then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Same as that. Thought it would be sold out in 24 hours. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I'll take my chances with the INEC Killarney over the soulless 3 Arena! For a state of the art, purpose built amphitheater, it is awful!

I don't think Morrissey has the ability to sell the 3 arena out anymore, his last show there had pretty poor attendance. It is crazy to see how his appeal has dwindled from been in the running for the greatest living Britain to struggling to get a label to put his new music out. I'm hopeful for the new album. Dog was pretty good in places, as was High School. A far cry in quality from Tormentors, Quarry and Vauxhall though!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Looking forward to this. Not sure on the venue but can't be any worse than the 3Arena, as has been mentioned. Vicar/Olympia would have been better but needs must.

The last couple of albums have been very poor for me - bar them odd flash of brilliance - but the new tunes he's playing these days sound fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Stillill42

We're skipping over the fact that he's turned into a bit of a prick so? That may be impacting sales. I'm a huge Smiths fan and have been to see him many times but wouldn't touch him with a barge poile anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Saw him several times so I’m not going to shell out that much time, effort, energy and cash dragging my arse from Dublin to Killarney

its about 8.5 hours travelling return from my place to the INEC or general area….

so…

8.5 hours travelling return

120 euros is the best rate for an ok to decent hotel for a night .

100 for two tickets

about 120 euros return each with Irish Fail… Eurostar / TGV prices would be cheaper, the fûck ?

If two of us went… 660 total plus spending money…. Would be the total outlay…..

last couple of records have been very uninspiring …

one plus is that he seems to be on stage for a reasonable outlay of time these days…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I was actually a little shocked to see a thread on his gig, he's a horrible pr1ck who has said some real nasty stuff.

Why would anyone entertain him live is beyond me.

He could get a label in the heartbeat but he wants one that agrees to his terms and not the other way around. His albums still sell well. He's his money made and cares not about being dictated to by labels, he has integrity that way.

Are you honestly shocked about a thread of one of the greatest songwriters of all time who fronted one of the most popular Engish/Irish bands of all time in The Smiths? I somehow doubt you are 'shocked' to be frank.

He speaks his mind is very blunt and in so many ways it's tongue in cheek I can't believe everyone takes everything he says literally so what you don't like it who cares? Nobody agrees with anyone on everything anyway.

Morrissey has spoken out for the little guy and the gay/lesbian community too, I remember seeing him in Manchester before and there was a HUGE gay and lesbian following at it. Hardly the 'horrible pr1ck' you describe. His music has helped gay community too songs like Hand in Glove weren't necessarily about a woman!

99% of songwriters would kill to have written there is a Light that never goes out or how soon is now. These and other Moz songs are iconic songs that will be played 50 years from now whilst other musicians music is forgotten about. Morrisseys music will outlive him while most musicians the music goes out with them.

Also it's not our job to entertain him his job to entertain us, he is a performer/entertainer after all! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

If you can't see what Morrissey has become and how he has turned his back on all the values that made people love the Smiths and his early solo stuff then yeah go spend your money on him, you'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Yup I shall be there got tickets that morning and got hotel sorted week or two before the gig.

Find it so funny how so many people seem to have this view of Morrissey now he's always been the same! Id actually agree with some of his statements ha. I wouldn't take a lot of it seriously though the music is all that matters but unfortunately his solo stuff hasn't been worth much for a good while now!

Always look forward to seeing him live though he's one of the few artists i bother turning up to gigs for at this stage.

I agree he hasn't changed he's always been polarizing and very outspoken.

I mean 2 Smiths albums are called

The Queen is Dead and Meat is Murder, 2 very very provocative statements in 1980's Britain. It didn't just start last week his outspoken nature.

If anything he should be admired for never changing, so manry artists change opinion based on current trends or the media or what the label wants.

Morrissey has always been his own man which is very very rare in the fickle music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

My main issue with him these days is I wish he would change his writing style for the better of his music but its never gonna happen at this stage! Every album he has now will have more moaning about random politics than actual decent songs but you get the odd one!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

His last decent solo record was 2014.. World Peace Is None Of Your Business.

since then, hmmmmmmm

Been some average stuff..3 pretty poor records in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Welcome to the viewpoint of anyone on the west coast or lots of other places around Ireland

Not just for gigs either..

If you were in Donegal you wouldn't even have the option to whinge about the price of train tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I get it it, Howard. Everyone is entitled to his opinion. If you're happy with Moz, knock yourself out. I love the Smiths. Really love them. Those lyrics appealed to so many people who didn't have a voice, who were underdogs, who didn't have a place in society. Now he's openly supporting arseholes like Tommy Robinson. Like I say go, enjoy it but don't be holding him up as some sort of paragon of virtue and idealism.

• Advertisement

Got tickets to his gig in London. As much of an odious character Morrissey is, and always has been really, I gotta see him once considering how much I've listened to himself and the Smiths.

Kinda telling that you think right-wing bigots can't be gay

It's kinda telling your reticent homophobia tells you all gay men ARE far right bigots. That IMO is so absurd and so hate filled. Just WOW.

OK so show me very very clear examples of gay men and gay groups and gay communities being 'far right bigots' show it in articles or pictures or whatever if you think it exists everywhere. So where is all this 'far right bigotry from gay people?'

I await all your proof.

Post edited by Howard Beale on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

to get back on topic ( a statement made far too frequently in gig threads nowadays)

for those thinking of travelling down flights are 41 quid return which may be a way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

”A black pop conspiracy is keeping my music down” was said in 1986

Bengali In Platforms was 1988.

This is not a recent development. However I can easily separate the artist from their opinions so it doesn’t stop me from buying his albums or attending his concerts. Albeit Killarney is too far away to go there & back in the same night.

My Morrissey album rankings. Would be interested to see other people’s

01 Southpaw Grammar

02 Viva Hate

03 Vauxhall & I

04 Your Arsenal

05 Maladjusted

06 I Am Not A Dog On A Chain

07 Ringleader Of The Tormentors

08 Kill Uncle

09 California Son

10 Years Of Refusal

11 You Are The Quarry

12 World Peace Is None Of Your Business

13 Low In High School

The ould amnesia is kicking in again I see. You typed Morrissey was just the other day. Morrissey is clearly gay but very very coy about it.

Back again? Yes heaven forbid someone responds to a thread they created eh! Ironically it's actually YOU who is back again calling gay men 'far right bigots' which to me is incredibly stupid, ignorant and downright absurd. Thanks for the laugh pal. I may keep an eye out for these homosexual far right bigots going around eh! 😉

Southpaw Grammar no 1? Interesting.

For me.

1. Viva Hate
    2. Bona Drag
    3. Kill Uncle
    4. Ringleader of the Tormentors
    5. World Peace is None of your business

I do like his newer albums too but they are more hit and Miss. I think World Peace is a great album

I excluded Bona Drag as it’s a compilation but if allowed, it would be #1.

The only thing I’d change about it is drop Suedehead & Everyday Is Like Sunday as they already appeared on Viva Hate. Maybe replace with one track - I Know Very Well How I Got My Name

• Advertisement

Yawn, says the man who suggests gay men can be 'far right bigots' yet can't provide one single example of it. Not one!

So generally speaking it's safe to to say your assertion is utter utter nonsense.

Advertisement