Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asking For A Pay Rise

Options
  • 17-08-2022 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

This topic has probably already been covered previously but there are specific issues that I would like your feedback on:

• Should you be the one that always proactively seeks the pay increase/annual review or should the company arrange/schedule these things? In my experience it is more often the former than the latter that occurs although maybe I have been unlucky with the companies I have worked for
    • How is the cost of living increase impacting on your organisation's pay policy? Is there a standard corporate response or are employees still being treated on an individual basis? Also I doubt most companies would get anywhere near offering pay increases that are even close to inflation increases of 9% but I may be wrong
    • If you don't work for a big multinational and if HR matters are handled in a more casual fashion then what tends to be the driving factors behind negotiating pay increases. Is it a case of s/he who simply asks the most or shouts the loudest (and is not considered expendable) and is first in the queue that is offered a negotiated pay increase until the budget for increased compensation runs out or goes beyond acceptable levels, and then those sweet passive things who believe in the fairness of the universe and the competence of their employers are left behind due to naivety?

Just trying to understand the process better and while it is handled differently in different companies based on structure/size etc. I am sure there are ways to approach this whole area more effectively.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In regard to point 1 - very rare to see company's offering pay rises out of the blue unless it's in the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

Annual review most common way. Increased responsibility/step-up then. Market parity if someone has an offer or making signs of leaving and is significantly below market.

Would think many companies are closer to redundancies than inflation matching pay increases.

Impossible to say but the squeaky wheel gets the grease (if important).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

at your next annual review, be sure to make it official when your next review will be. that way if there is no pay rise, they know you are expecting one in 6 months time.

i've got no payrise based on the increased cost of living and TBH its not something i would ask for.

re 3, and most negotiations TBH...how much are you worth to them, how much do you (and current employer) think you can get paid elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

As an employer I'd say.... 1 yes, some (not all) employers will happily leave an employee sit at the previously agreed wage. For an employee's own benefit, they need to look out for themselves first and not rely on having a good employer.

2) it's mostly on an individual basis, but there's a general view in my organisation to give inflationary increases (but not matching current levels)

3) this is a difficult one, you want to max your pay, and at the same time training. The biggest pay rises happen generally when you move jobs/roles/companies so imo training and experience are more important than time in one job. I have a number of examples in real life to show this but can't go into details.

This is coming from an IT background, so I'm not sure if it's suited for other professions.

Hope it helps.

Advertisement