Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should we move to Dubai?

• 15-08-2022 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi myself and my husband (Newly married=no kids) are considering moving to Dubai next year for a period of 2 years. I will be 33 and he will be 38.

We are just wondering has anyone here been in a similar position and made the move and does anyone have any advice on this? Any pros/cons? 

The reason we would be moving would be to earn more money (quicker )than we would in Ireland mainly and see another part of the world and come back and buy a house in Dublin . I am a teacher and my husband works in finance so we assume we could find a job easy enough? 

However my worry is that given Our ages it might be lonely or hard to make friends out there as we aren’t young and into the party scene.also we are in already in an extremely fortunate position to both be in permanent jobs at the minute and I would be leaving an AP position here at home with six years experience. We also own a duplex apartment in dublin and already have a decent disposable income. I know most people go to Dubai for more permanent work and so they can buy their first house back home so maybe for us the move doesn’t make sense?

i know the teaching days are longer in Dubai and there’s less holidays so maybe the salary difference wouldn’t be worth it?

what are people’s opinions or advice on this ? Is there really better income and better quality of life to be had over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Surely you can take a career break with your position?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Teaching salary would be up to AED25k a month if you are very very lucky. But could be as low as AED 15k a month.

Finance is vague, however if its big 4, it depends on what line of service he works in. Nonetheless the hours are incredibly long but good remuneration.

For a view on budget for accommodation have a look a propertyfinder.ae. You will be lucky as a one bed may suit you guys. Biggest out going here is rent.

Everything here bar petrol is vastly more expensive than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Also I would argue quality of life, as you need to pay for everything bar camping here, will relate to how much you want to spend. this will eat into your 2 year timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Do you get free healthcare and housing allowance on teachers wage? I heard you did but maybe not! Yes I do wonder if we would have as much disposable income over there as it appears... perhaps not.

husband is financial consultant not with big 4 no

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have you been to Dubai? It's not for everyone, while its a spectacular place, it's got questionable ethics, very much a tiered society and you don't have the same freedoms we enjoy in Ireland.

I wouldn't just move there unless you've been there before or know people living there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

All employers by law have to provide healthcare here.

The Dubai lifestyle lends to spending more money on luxuries, more than Abu Dhabi. Schools aren't so quick with housing allowances now after covid, especially for childless staff/couples. You will still be provided accommodation.

Having been home, I am finding that coffee and sandwiches at home are quickly catching up to the prices here. But food is still expensive.

Been here for 10 years and have loved every minute of it. Don't move until your husband has secured a job. Overall, if you're not able to save at least 6-7k euro per month, it probably isn't worth it.

You'll need a good housing allowance - as a couple without kids, you will be able to get a nice apartment from anywhere between 60-110k AED per year. If you want to save money, stay away from JBR, Business Bay and the Marina as rents are highest there.

Two years very often becomes 10 in Dubai and when children come on the scene costs add up - around 12k euro per child per academic year (could be more, might be less) - so try to ensure your employer (or your husband's) has an education allowance.

Advertisement