Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Person close to me suffering from mental health issues

• 03-08-2022 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey

A person very close to me is suffering from mental health issues and it’s destroying our family with all the stress involved. We’re doing everything in our power to help, but they don’t realise that and treat everyone around them terrible.

Does anyone have tips for dealing with this? It’s affecting all of our health, including mental health now.

i feel like people are starting to talk about mental health but never hear anything about friends and family around them, who it’s also extremely tough on. It’s hard to “live normally” (go to work, have a day out etc) when you have someone at home that refuses to leave their room for example; but that’s just one example of course

Comments

It's not possible to tell from your post, but they probably need some form of professional help. Going to their GP is the first step, but it's worth mentioning that if it is a mental illness rather than poor mental health, then they may need to see a psychiatrist as a GP is only useful for prescribing anti depression medication and they aren't really trained to diagnose mental illness.

The important distinction is the difference between a GP and psychiatrist, but the first step is to talk to a GP.

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think you can't get an adult help if they're not willing to engage themselves. But you can get help for yourself. Aware have a support group/meeting for family and friends.

A psychiatrist isn't really what most people think either. They generally just prescribe. Talk therapy is done with counsellors, psychotherapists etc. But if the person is reluctant to look for help, there's very little you can do for them.

There are some links in The charter which is stickied at the top of the Forum. Have a look at make contact with some organisations to get advice for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bipass

People first need to want to help themselves. Otherwise they are a blackhole which will suck up everything you have emotionally. Take a step back unless the person is a danger to themselves or others. Make it clear you're there if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Definitely agree that the impact on other people isn't really talked about.

Can you elaborate on how they treat everyone terribly?

You only provided one example in your post "It’s hard to “live normally” (go to work, have a day out etc) when you have someone at home that refuses to leave their room for example;"

But I don't see why that stops you from living normally. So what if they don't want to leave their room, Can they not just be left to it? I say that as someone who has had many days where I would love to just stay in my room (but can't because of kids etc).

Some people are not great at handling mental health issues and try to insist the person gets up and about, gets dressed, does x, y and z. Of course there are times when that is helpful and someone needs a push but it's also not always the right approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

If you are old enough and can afford it, move out. Take yourself out of that situation, you can’t resolve it and it isn’t your responsibility to resolve it.

You can’t force this person to get help and in some family dynamics there is a need to be ‘rescuing’ a family member at all times. This situations can never be resolved and are fruitless to engage with. ‘ X is on the drink again. X is off the drink now. I wonder is X tempted by the drink again?’

I know this might sound harsh and I know it’s something you can’t do immediately but do start thinking about not engaging with this and start focusing on what you want to do and enjoy.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I don’t agree with above poster . I’ve been in this situation about 3 times in my life and it’s all consuming . Latest episode start of this year. I’m broken from it . But it forced me to change things for myself too .

contact https://shine.ie/ . They help people who are affected like you are .

i wish you the best of luck , I got anxioreading your post . This is a problem in many homes x

Advertisement