Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants refusing to leave even though we are homeless..HELP

• 27-06-2022 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Any advice or help would really help. ****NOT REGISTERED WITH RTB****

Myself and my family(2 kids) moved abroad for 1 year due to work, we rented our home to a friend and his family( not friends anymore), they knew it was not forever as the house was not finished to standards that would be allowable for renting( as it was still being build but was liveable, he knew this so we didnt register with the RTB) Anyway long story short ..... they got there notice and are refusing to leave and have not paid us any rent in 2 months and also are refusing to allow us into the property to view the place and out side is covered in dog **** that he doesn't pick up!!

Me and my family have no home and no money to rent anywhere i am sleeping on my mums sofa with my 2 kids and my husband is in homeless shelter.... how can i get them out of our home..... Not all landlords are rich!!!

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Unfortunately it seems like you have landed in a bit of a mess.

First of all regardless of RTB registration if a tenant decides not to leave you are powerless to get them out without the costs and stress of going a full legal route which could take a couple of years.

My advice would be to register the tenancy immediately and then follow the correct and legal route to terminate the tenancy (RTB’s website will have details). You will need to prepare yourself for a long battle to get them out as there are little or no protections in Ireland for landlords.

Also - I am going to assume that you haven’t paid any tax on the rental income over the last 12 months - I’d look at making a declaration (you are probably not late as you usually file this return in arrears).

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13 scarke1

We had a tenancy registered and all was done properly...out daughter and boyfriend came back from the UK in January last year.....we were supposed to tell the tenants about this in December but did it two months earlier to be nice....it all worked out fine but in the end cost me nearly 600 euro in legal fees..I had to give the tenants registered documents to advise them, then I had to submit more documents with flight details of oru daughters, her new job offer, the list was endless, and had to sign it all in front of a notary...so not sure how you are going to do all of that to be honest....there does not seem to be a way around it at all....we were lucky because the tenants needed somewhere larger but it still cost us a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thats a really **** situation. If I was in your position I would just arrive at the house and move in anyway. Move all their stuff into the smallest bedroom. Live with them - after a few days of this they will soon be gone. I think you have to play dirty with scum like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Why is your husband in a homeless shelter you own a home?

2ways of dealing with this. Register rtb and pay fine. Fill in online forms and get signed in front of notory. Send copies of notice to leave to rtb and your tenants. Go through the processand make a claim to get your house back. Don't wait!

Or you could move back in but that could go pear shaped.

Contact your bank for a payment holiday as no money coming into pay the mortgage. Credit rating would be messed up.

Get legal advice now and not just from here .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'd do the same.

OP you will be years waiting to go the legal route. If they play dirty, you jump in the muc with them. Arrive at the house with your family and create a disturbance, make a big scene, and when the Garda arrive tell them you are homeless and have nowhere else to go. I would not back down on this.

• Advertisement

Could do that, move back in and your supposed tenants would have to bring you to rtb to get you out. but if you have not registered rtb they will not get involved. They were minding your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

Couldn't do that. RTB will deal with a complaint, even if LL is not registered. If they deem (and I reckon they would) that there was a tenancy in place (rent being paid over a period of time etc.), you could face a fine for illegal eviction as well as non-registration of a tenancy, and have the tenancy re-instated.

Go to a solicitor - do it right - no short cuts or DIY "justice".

This is a dreadful situation for OP, but this is where tenancy legislation in Ireland (all in favor of the tenant).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I've read on boards many times that the rtb process can take years and in the meantime the tenants are not paying rent. Just curious but always wonder what happens if an owner took their property back from tenants without going through the rtb rules. Has there been any cases or does it involve a fine/prosecution of the owner? What legislation covers it?

These types of threads seem to be popping up with more regularity. Does anyone contact their TDs?

This type of stuff needs to be getting raised in the Dail. Things wont change otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

You'd be put out on the street for trespassing.

• Advertisement

Incorrect they will get involved on the tenants behalf regardless of registration.

Just re read op post. You gave the family notice. Was it a text, letter or notice from Rtb website? By doing this you have made them your tenants.

Register tenancy and pay the late payment fee. Fill in the forms on the Rtb website with declaration that you are moving back in with your family. Start notice from the day after you posted rtb registration. Also fill in the form for 14days notice for late payment of rent. Do it by the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

As other have said OP you need to start doing things by the book.

Your a landlord now and its not your home, it's your tenants home and you can't just evict willy nilly.

Get some professional advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

From threshold and supported view by the RTB.

"The landlord can only enter the property with the permission of the tenant, unless it is an emergency situation".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

1/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Sell the house. Buy another and live in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

" it was not forever as the house was not finished to standards that would be allowable for renting( as it was still being build but was liveable"

A lot of questions to be asked.

Tenancy not registered, house not up to the standard...

Liveable? What does it even mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Their house not their home. It's the tenants home. That's how the legislation works.

• Advertisement

Doing things by the book will mean the OP will remain homeless for possibly years while the scum tenants continue to live in the house and not to pay their rent.

Overholding and not paying rent is happening more and more in this country. In this situation it seems the tenants have all the rights which is crazy. Its time for landlords to join together and reclaim their rights. When the correct notice is given a landlord should be able to evict their tenants on their leaving date without having to go through the legal route. If tenants are not paying their rent they should be able to be evicted within 3 months without having to jump through legal hoops. As far as Im concerned the people currently occupying the OPs home are squatters not tenants.

The OP sounds like she has done this family a favour for the last year and this is how she has been repaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Doesn't matter if it's their house.

Doesn't matter if the gang in there aren't paying rent.

Doesn't matter if the landlord has registered them, they will still be represented by rtb.

Nothing matters, squatters or otherwise, they have rights.

You need to go the legal route. It's long, and expensive. Been there, done that, (€15k of unpaid rent and legal fees. )

The legislation should be that its the tenants home while they are paying rent - if they are not paying rent their out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The law may be stupid but it is still the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Why do you think there is a mass exodus of landlords from the market?

It's because in this very situation the laws heavily favour the tenant

Nobody is disputing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Except when it comes to the highest rental costs in the history of the state. That's in favour of the landlord, right?

That and the money they can make from AirBnB, yes?

As far you're concerned has no basis in law in this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

More like the process for dealing with complaints is absurdly long and expensive.

If the complaints process was quick there would be a lot fewer issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr Hindley

But if we had more landlords (because we hadn't driven half of them out of the market), to the extent where there was a functioning market and tenants actually had a choice, rents wouldn't be so sky high. Landlords would drop their rents soon enough if there were other landlords out there trying to compete for tenants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement