If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Civil Service

  • 24-06-2022 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

    Looking for advice from anyone in the civil service. I recently started as a clerical officer, the section I’m in is quite small and there’s only me an EO working on admin tasks for about 20 higher staff members. However I keep getting tasks to do that should be the EOs role (who is also my manager) and it’s making me feel overworked and dread everyday going to work. I feel like for the job I’m doing I’m doing twice as much as the EO! Any advice would be welcome


  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Butterfly182


    Sorry to hear about your situation, I would advise talking to your EO as a first step. I would tell them that you are stressed and feeling overwhelming with some tasks but are confident and happy to do X, Y, Z.

    Keep regular communication with your EO.

    If the situation doesn't improve enough escalate to your HEO.

    Also have a look at your PMDS and see what your duties are to see if the tasks you are being asked to do fall in line with that. If they don't you have more grounds for complaint. When filling out your PMDS reviews note the difficulties you have if still needed.

    If you aren't in the Union I would advise you to join now in case you need their help.

    You can contact HR if you think it might help.

    May be no harm talking to the Civil Service Assistance officer for your department. It may help to talk about the problem there, they listen and can sometimes offer advise. It is free and confidential (subject to certain situations set out in their charter). You can go during work hours too and not be penalised.

    You can apply for Mobility too, you won't get a position until you are two years permanent in the CS but it may be your ticket out if needed.

    Best of luck.