Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

• 12-06-2022 1:05pm

Starting this thread as an opposite to the Tesco Bargains [Groceries] thread, on Bargain Alerts, to share any notable increases in prices with other shoppers.

(This can also include where an item is significantly decreased in weight or volume, yet the price remains the same or higher!)

So, share what you've noticed!

I'll start with Tesco Deli Style Crumbed Ham which increased in price from €2.29 last week to €3.30 this week. A total increase of €1.01 or 44%

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Noticed the Natural Confectionery company, the brand that do the lovely jelly snakes reduced their packets from 130g to 110g

Far sneakier approach to take in my opinion, as less people will notice the weight versus the increase in cost.

Obviously that's the brand doing that across all stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Tesco's Aldi price match list 08/06/22

It's been going on for years, this is from 2008

and more recent

There was a dedicated boards thread to Shrinkflation, where chocolate, crisps, detergents, breads, meat, were listed

Shrinkflation. I've never heard that term before, but it makes sense.

Price remains the same but what you get for it has shrunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Tesco Fresh Cream 250ml has gone from €1 to €1.49 in the last few weeks.

Tesco Sliced Cheddar has gone from €1.69 to €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Tesco have hiked most/all of their toilet paper products. Previously you could get 9 roles of soft 2 ply 200 sheets for 2.29 EUR price matching Aldi. The same now costs 4 EUR or more in some Tesco stores. Aldi still charge 2.29 EUR.

• Advertisement

A roll of Tesco 50lt black bin liners gone up from €2.50 to €4.50 ! 😲

Tesco Mild Cheddar Slices gone from €1.39 to €2 as well. 🧀

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Dr Karl

Disprin gone from 3.11 to 3.00 to now 3.50

Gavison about 8.60 to 10.00

Tesco toilet paper 9 pack 2.79 to 5.00

Tesco butter 2.19 to 2.99 (all supermarkets have increased to this price)

Avonmore butter 2.95 to 3.49

Tesco 500g butter me up spread 75c to 99c

2 litre water 50c to 65c (Aldi & Dunnes 6 X 2 litres 2.50)

24 X 500ml water from 4.99 to 5.85

Tesco potato waffles 99c to 1.10 (Aldi 99c Dunnes 1.00)

Tesco buttermilk 79c to 99c (Aldi Dunnes 79c)

Tesco Strawberry & raspberry jam 79c to 89c (12.5% increase)

Chicken breast fillet with bone 3.50 to 4.00

Birdseye potato waffles increased from 2.25 to 2.99 in Jan 2021 this happened across the board in ROI even though there was a glut of potatoes in Belgium. Tesco UK have recently increased the price to £1.80 but they are still £1.50 or less in other supermarkets there.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭brodsy

Tesco sandwich iceberg lettuce from.89c up to €1.09 (still 89c in Aldi)

Tesco pedal bin liners 50 litres from .85c up to €1

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

You can take it that all paper products will be going up in price.

We buy a lot of tissue wrap and filler paper (by the pallet) and have had recent price increases of 30% - 40%. Cardboard packaging is up 60% in the past 18 months

Aldi probably have a contract that has a longer end date than Tesco, but you ca be certain of a substantial.

Same with anything dairy and farm related. Fertiliser has rocketed in price as have other inputs especially diesel for operating farm machinery. Farmers have to charge more and that feeds into retail. Farmers now get 45-47c a litre of milk - it was 33-35c 18 months ago. Milk = cheese, butter, yogurt etc

I do get the feeling that Tesco have increased a lot more than is necessary in order to have "price reductions" from september as you start into the Christmas season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

I was abroad last week, meaning there was a two week gap between shops. In those two weeks:

Tesco white bread: from 75c to 90c

Tesco Pork and Apple Sausage: from €2.38 to €2.99 (though it's still two packs for €4, for now)

Tesco baby potatoes: from 99c to €1.09

Tesco fresh cream 250ml: from €1 to €1.49

Tesco smoked streaky bacon: from €1 to €1.31

Batchelors baked beans 225g 6 pack: from €5 to €5.79

Tesco Italian finely chopped tomatoes 400g: from 45c to 55c

Tesco 20 battered chicken dippers: from €1.39 to €1.55

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭MacDanger

While you're not wrong about the increased costs involved in farming, farmers are almost always price-takers rather than price-setters. The price that farmers get is set by the processers and is generally influenced by supply and demand, (e.g. increased demand for baby milk) rather than by the cost of production. Increased processing (incl. transport) costs is likely to be the reason for the increase in the retail cost of these products

What is Tescos game here? Tesco seem to be the worst of the supermarkets with price increases, and don't offer weekly vouchers like SuperValu and Dunnes.

Are Tesco trying to lead the whole market towards higher prices?

Do Tesco simply feel that they will get away with it now that everyone knows that inflation is a problem?

The more we all vote with our feet and shop elsewhere the better. Aldi don't seem to be hiking prices like Tesco are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,783 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's an interesting point re: Tesco trying to lead the market, but if you look around re: Aldi there are threads where people are complaining that the price has stayed the same but either the quality or quantity has dropped.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I have not noticed any change in Aldi quantity not quality and shop there a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,783 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Not shopped in Tesco but in 2 supermarkets

Kerrygold large block 3.99 and in Costcutters 5 .20 and a month or 6 weeks ago Tesco same brand of butter 4.20.

Deffo need to bring glasses to read prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

I have shopped shopping in Tesco because the constant price increases. Never seen anything like what Tesco are doing.

Previously my grocery shopping was about 50% Tesco, 25% Super Valu and 25% Aldi. Now nearly 100% Aldi and Lidl.

Post edited by Szero on

• Registered Users Posts: 45,807 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We get a weekly delivery of groceries and I've checked the cost of the items in the oldest confirmation email I retained (2 March 2022) and compared them to today's prices. The first figures are the March prices with the second figures being today's prices.

Tesco Butter 454G  €2.49 … €2.99

Tesco Finest British Chunky Oven Chips 1.5Kg   €2.00 …€2.20

Kelloggs All Bran Cereal 750G  €3.50 … €4.59

Tesco Toaster White Thick Sliced 800G  €0.75 … €1.15

Slimsters Wholemeal Square Breads 4 Pack  €1.49 … €1.59

Tesco Deli Style Crumbed Ham 200G  €2.29 … €3.30

Domestos Original Bleach 750Ml  €1.25 … €1.50

Ocean Spray Cranberry Classic Light Juice Drink 1 Litre  €1.99 … €2.29

Tesco Pancakes 8 Pack  €0.89 … €0.99

Tesco Kitchen Towel White 4 Roll  €1.19 … €1.50

Tesco Low Fat Milk 3L  €2.29 … €2.59

Tesco Frozen Chicken Burgers 680G  €2.70 … €3.00

Brennan Vitamin D Wholemeal 800G  €2.25 … €2.40

Tesco 30% Reduced Fat Mature Cheese Slices 250G  €2.00 … €2.15

Tesco Luxury Soft Toilet Tissue 9 Roll White  €2.79 … €4.49

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Vote with your feet if you aren’t happy

I think the increases on literally everything are unjustified and if anything, if Tesco took the hit on ‘inflation’ and reduced their margins, they would easily be able to use that in Marketing material

More likely now though people will be pushed away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Quite the increase, scrolling through my Tesco favourites tonight. Doing about one shop a month there now as opposed to at least 4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭Xander10

big increase and a smaller bag.

the price of crisps etc now has me eating healhthier. I stopped buying them especially the multi packs full of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

I have been buying these for ages and they went from €1 to €4.75 out of the blue the other week. It showed up in my favourites on the app and I had to actually check in store for confirmation before I'd believe it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭con747

Complete madness what Tesco are doing when you can buy a 20 pack in Aldi for 89c, 10 less in the roll but a lot cheaper, 4c each against 16c each 😮 https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-multiuse-bag-20-pack-power-force/4088600101095

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

On the lettuce, I noticed there are actually 2 prices on the shelf for that in 2 sections for weeks now. Didn't think to look and see if there was a difference in weight to the 1.09 one. I picked up the one in the 89c section and that was what was on my receipt. Chucked it so cant post it up but I'll keep an eye on it as we buy it every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Dr Karl

Oust descaler €1.72 to €2.50

Tesco active gel toilet cleaner 75c to €1.00

Tesco washing machine limescale prevention liquid €1.50 to €2.00

Carex handwash refill €1.72 to €1.85

Tesco essential hand wash 500ml 59c to 65c (Aldi still have a 59c option)

Tesco toffees 39c to 52c

Cuisine de France Blueberry muffin €1.75 to €2.00

Bread rolls €1.00 to €1.15

Tesco monster baguette €1.00 to €1.15 plus it seems to have reduced in size it use to be bigger than the bag it was in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Economics101

This week in Tesco Rathfarnham, a huge number of items have Dual pricing, depending on whether you have a clubcard or not. Effectively it forces you to get their clubcard and let them know your buying habits. One example is a bottle of Domaines Arnaud wine: €17 without card and €8.50 with a card. There are many other examples (not all of them drink related!).

Made a complaint at Customer Service: needless to say the manager was "at a meeting" and therefore unavailable.

I'm off to Aldi now.

Thats a 475% increase! 😲

And I thought 50Lt black bin liners going from €2.50 (it may even have been €2) to €4.50 was bad!

Is there any watchdog for this area? I dont see how Tesco can justify these increases.

yesterday I saw a person in their tesco work uniform shopping in Lidl!

badge of honour doing it at this stage maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,931 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why not get a clubcard then? I have had one for about 10+ years, and it hasn't affected my life that they know my buying habits. In fact I also shop in Supervalu, Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys, M&S. I don't care who knows my habits when it comes to buying groceries. I have nothing to be ashamed of!

I take it you don't use Facebook, Twitter, Insta then, for fear of your habits being followed?

Advertisement