Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy in 12 months

Options
  • 09-06-2022 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello,

I have been told my position will be made redundant in 12 months. If I leave before then, I will just be resigning and will get no severance, but if I stay the 12 months, I will receive severance pay - is this legal? It seems unfair to me, but I'm sure it's probably allowable - my company makes a lot of lay-offs and likely doesn't make mistakes ... but just wanted to check.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Sounds great.

Phone it in for a year then take them money, happy days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Why wouldn't it be legal? Sounds like the company is running off it's operations with a set time for closedown so you'll know when you can start a new position. Redundancy packages in situations like this are often generous to entice you to stay for the 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

What kind of package are they offering? If it's decent then it's worth sticking around. If it's not much start looking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How is it unfair? Would you rather they ran down the clock to the absolute minimum (possibly only one week, depending on length of service), and then told you?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That happened in one of my previous jobs, was awesome. Gave me months to go to interviews and find the perfect replacement job, I took 2 months off in between the jobs and hit Hawaii and LA with part of the redundancy package. Line up the new job and take a good vacation in between, not often you get that chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Is it legal? Seriously?

They are letting you know a massive 12 months in advance that your position is being made redundant and you wonder if it is legal that you don't get the redundancy benefits if you walk out before that?

I actually had something like that. Gave 5 months notice that I was not renewing a retail lease and closing a location at end of the following January. Manager took umbrage at being given so much notice and walked out in October and then tried to claim redundancy. She tried the labour court route and they stopped the case after 30 minutes and said she had no case whatsoever.

Her redundancy would have been about 8k and she lost it!

Advertisement