Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black Bird - AppleTV+ -(***Spoilers***) Ray Liotta & Taron Egerton

• 08-06-2022 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

When serving time, you’ll do anything for a chance at freedom—even if that means facing a suspected killer. Inspired by true events, Dennis Lehane’s newest Apple Original Series stars Taron Egerton and Paul Walter Hauser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I swear I didn't recognise Ray Liotta on first watch.

I did notice his name in the credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Black Bird will premiere globally with the first two episodes on  Friday, 8th July  on Apple TV+, followed by one new episode weekly, every Friday

Watched the first episode and will stick with it i liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Loved the first episode very well made some great performances from Taron Egerton ( I can see why he is being linked to playing Wolverine with those muscles) Greg Kinnear Paul Walter Hauser and the great Ray Liotta.

Probably because of the settings and some of the shots it reminds me of True Detective and Sharp Objects.

Looking forward to watching the second episode later on

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Watched the first two episodes and this really is excellent. Well acted by all, and a great story.

• Advertisement

Anyone think it's a more week-to-week or wait-for-binge effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There are 6 episodes and they are chunky enough at an hour each. I'd say get stuck in.

OK! This show is REALLY well made. All of it.

Feels high quality in the writing, directing, casting, acting, camera work, sound work, location shots, visual shots.

1: This was well put together. Following along with two stories set years apart but both digging into the story.

Really good performance from Taron Ederton. Also top work from the scenes Ray Liotta was one from one of his last performances. Greg Kinnear putting ina good performance too. The whole cast are doing really well to be fair. To me that points to the director working really well with them all.

I think so far, the big reminders I'm getting are of the Mindhunter and True Detective TV shows and what I remember of the prison type scenes from the Blow movie.

It feels so errie how this Larry Hall had just been telling the cops all about what he did an nothing happened. It does feel a bit like True Detective though that maybe there's more going on with him than he's letting on.

The FBI woman comes across really annoying. I dunno if that's just her or if she's pushing against Keene to see if he'll be capable enough to work this job.

I get the feeling Ray Liottas scenes are going to be emotional as the show continues.

Oh.. kinda side note.. those 1990s phones! Oh I remember that pain!

2: A solid follow-up. Feels like the first two episodes combined made for a proper introduction and setting the story up.

Thinking it should just be to see how it all unfolds from this point.

I think in this one, I noticed the theme of Fathers and maybe it's going to be core to the show.

Jimmy and his father. The detective is a father. The scene in the prisoner transfer mini-bus with the three guards all being fathers.

Maybe something about fatherhood or maybe Larry and Garys father will come up. I dunno.

The show brings in the appeal in what feels as a way to put the squeeze on the time. Seems legit as just a time squeeze but at the same time, it's keeping the thinnest idea of Larry being falsely convicted. At this stage, and without having looked into the case, .. I dunno... everything points to Larry having done it.

Last thing I'm guessing might come up is Jimmys Dad James and Sammy might be going to open up a secondary arc in the story of finding out where he has disappeared to. I'm guessing that could possibly cause issues with the undercover-ness of Jimmy.

Solid song at the credits...

Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm (Official Video)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Excellent opening double episode.

Paul Walter Hauser could be the real standout the way things are going.

The real James Keene.

The first thing I thought was Ray Liotta could have played him if the had made this in 90's when it real murders happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Awards imho for Dennis Lehane, Paul Walter Hauser and deceased Ray Liotta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Brilliant stuff this

Larry is it ? What a perp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

it is good but incredibly slow. Also I doubt the real guy had such a relationship with his female handler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good opening 2 episodes, I'm going to wait until the last 4 are done and watch them over a weekend, can't handle the waiting week to week as it will ruin it for me.

It does kinda feel like it could be absorbed in bulk. Won't know till the end to be sure though.

3: Solid episode. Definitely had a tenseness to it. Does feel like it would be good to jump into the next episode to find out what happens next.

They are still keeping that falsely convicted thing going but .. i dunno.. seems pretty clear after that conversation in the boiler room. Maybe it's just that it's going to be the FBI agent running with it.

I wonder is that guard done-in. Gone for an emergency after they already did something to his face. Doesn't sound good.

Jimmys family really did a number on him.. clearing out everything her hoarded. I wonder did he not leave enough regular stuff (furnitue/fittings/3 speakers?) to sell to make 10k. Maybe not in the time he needed it.

Oh and the notable character..

I swear when I heard Vincent "The Chin" Gigante .. I got a bit hyped that it might have been a secret cameo by Vincent D'Onofrio. Not to be.

Song from the end:

Lo Fidelity Allstars - Battleflag

Great 90's soundtrack back on episode 2 at the start the college girl was listening to The The's. Track Dogs Of Lust. With Johnny Marr on Guitar ,👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It's slow, it's occasionally annoying, but I'm in. I'm not enjoying it yet but I want to know what happens, which is good enough for now.

4: Well ****! 😲 Strap in folks. This ones a journey! Headspace all over the place.

I dunno. I was trying to build up what way the episode was going right up to the first yard scene.

I was like... aaaaahhhh this is real tense, they must being going for a tense episode.

Then the riot and the cleaning and the backstories all panned out.

Definitely had some **** you moments about the parents.

They really threw out a lot of story there. I think.. not sure though.. that the audience should be able to keep with it though.

Credits song.. choice makes sense:

Eric Burdon & The Animals- When I Was Young

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Paul Walter Hauser was excellent in that episode.

• Advertisement

I don't know much of any of Paul Walter Hauser's work. I assume with the praise he's getting here, he must usually play very different characters?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well he is hated for the role he has in Cobra Kai in the last few years.

I though he was great in Kingdom and in Clint Eastwood's Richard Jewell playing Richard Jewell.

Ah I remember the trailers for Richard Jewell. I think this will have it a bit bumped up on my to-watch list.

5: 😭😭😭 ****!

but it's not enough

credits song:

Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have

Just ****!

Best made episode of the season. **** ing in bits after that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bird_(miniseries)

Director was new Joe Chappelle. Writer is the series 'developer' Dennis Lehane. He worked on most of the other episodes.

Chappelle has directed some Godfather of Harlem, Fringe, The Wire, CSI Miami amongst others

I'm a freakin ball of emotions after it. Some kind of mix of deep saddness and rage.

Great episode this is a fantastic series, this episode reminded me a bit of The Lovely Bones with the girl speaking about moments in her life.

Can't believe there is only one episode left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Magnificent show.

not surprised to hear that Paul Walter Hauser said he found some of those lines very difficult to deliver.

I also liked how they made Jessica Roche the narrator and made it about the life she had and not what he took from her. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭brianc27

Loving this, episode 5 was absolutely brilliant, incredible performances from taron egerton and especially paul walter hauser, the NIN track at the end was just perfect too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

awesome

Advertisement