Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

England International Cricket Summer 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Very surprising how easy it was for England this morning. India looked like a side that were 4-0 down in a 5 match series and just waiting for the last rites so they could go home. Chasing 378 is supposed to be incredibly difficult and yet that looked like a stroll.

Amazing how Bairstow has hit this run of form as he went something like 35 or so innings without a century heading into this year and then a string of low scores until Trent Bridge and he has suddenly put together an unbelievable 5 innings where he is seeing the ball like a football.

England still have a number of problems as they wouldn't be needing to chase 378 if everything was rosy, but you could tell that India didn't know what a good score was in the 3rd innings as England's approach had them worrying. Look at the run rates of each innings, where India went at 4.9 in their first innings but trying to set a target in their second innings, they went at 2.99. Their approach in that first innings had England doing some strange things in the field and they almost abandoned it yesterday morning. Still, a target of 378 should be more than enough for a bowling side and outside those 3 wickets in 16 balls, it was a dreadful bowling performance.

Full credit though to Stokes and England. They have been a joy to watch so far this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep the more positive and confident England is the total opposite of Roots setup.

England could have gotten 470 plus if needed the way they were going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Scarcely believable what they've done in a month. Winning the toss and deciding to chase. Think of that. You win the toss and bat. Occasionally, very rarely, you decide to bowl first. It does need good pitches, will never work in the subcontinent for example. It uses the third innings against the opposition. Teams have forever messed up their third inning and now it's being tactically exploited.

Having Root and Bairstow in the form they're will make any captain look a genius it has to be said too. I'm not sure I've seen batting at this level ever. Over a long period of time by both now really. Root especially. The calmness of it, just seems inevitable with them.

England won’t be happy with the India total. They bowled better in the last 3/4 overs but to need ten an over to win is challenging.

bad start by England, Buttler their danger man or one of them out for a duck in the first over. He got a good one to be fair. That delivery swung and moved about 8 inches off the pitch.

29-3 after 5! And it's not often you see Roy floundering on 3 not out after 5 overs - maybe he's playing for his not out! ................... No he's out! 33-4 in the 7th over - time to bring back Eoin Morgan!

• Advertisement

12 required per over… only one winner. England have been poor…bat and ball.

9 overs in and England have only managed 8 boundaries. That’s no good… average even for test cricket but 20-20 😟

umpires completely **** again.. missing a few wides and no balls on height.

I have to confess that I'm always delighted when Roy fails; for me, he's the by some distance the most inelegant and ugly batsman (batter?) in world T20 cricket.

He is a bit awkward and robotic looking.. not as easy on the eye as some. Decent one day record mind.

dreadful test player, think he averaged 18 from 6 tests or something.

Poor by Moeen. Whatever chance England had disappearing with his exit. Didn’t even try to make his ground which is bad form. Couldn’t anticipate the Karthick drop but try, make the effort and he’s maybe still there…poor. Curran with an untidy shot but could have beeen no balled on height, close.

over 16 required an over.

• Advertisement

England trashed by 50 runs - that's 2½ runs an over - very poor!

But Birmingham (with Paul Sterling) were far worse against Hampshire - beaten by over 100 runs. Such a contrast from last night's drama when the Yorkies beat Slurry by 1 run!

To loose by 50 runs in a 50 over game is poor but in an international T20 ! 7 England batsmen made single figure scores. Won’t beat anyone like that. 3 of those scores were ducks !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about T20?? The format simply has no soul, no depth and very little strategy. What options does a bowler have? Slow or fast, full or short (but not too short or that will be penalised). No width allowed, no room for variety. Just bowl it down the track and get a crick in your neck as they watch the ball flying to the boundary. Make sure there are plenty of fielders inside the circle lest they actually keep the run rate down. To be honest, the pitch has more of an effect of keeping the score down than the fielding team.

They should just put the ball on a tee and let the batter hit it.

It is relying less on the nuanced skill sets we’ve been accustomed to in cricket but it has its place… i far prefer Tests & 50 over cricket to 20-20 but I think the wham bam in and out disposable nature of it has great appeal to certain demographics of people and the likes of broadcasters too.

neither have to commit much time or effort to it or as much time and effort and in this disposable era and demands on time and attention it’s here to stay.

my bugbear is the prevalent nature of it ahead of 50 over cricket which is seemingly not too fashionable.

I’m backing India.. don’t like this English team selection .

4 all rounders, 4 bowlers, 3 batsmen.

Bizarre..

why ? What’s the point of 8 bowlers in T20 game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Xander10

Some of them for sure…What a debut by Gleeson.

3 overs, 3 wickets and 8 runs conceded.. Sharma, Kohli and Pant his victims. Incredible performance.

As for the bowling ‘ unit’ , 2 going at over 11 runs an over and one over 10.. all 3 of those bowlers are wicketless, wicketless and seriously expensive.

17 off Livingstons over there.

its Curran, Gleeson and Jordan who have performed.

Roy disappears back to the dressing rooms first ball. Won’t look back at that shot with any fondness but a decent delivery in fairness, he got a good one..

8.5 the required from the off.

Buttler given out on review, he’s disgusted, adamant he didn’t hit it… review shows a gap between bat and ball, but a spike on ultra edge…

strange, don’t see how that should be given with clear sight of fresh air between bat and ball. Decision on the field is not out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Loved Gleeson at Northants, thought it was a shame he didn't stay but not a surprise to go back to his "home" county.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Brook again disappears without overworking the scorers, 4 games, my quick maths that’s an average of just over 11 runs. Only gone 23 but needs a score.

England batted for 9 overs, only 7 boundaries..

Malan gone to a dreadful shot off a Chahal full toss, pure rubbish batting a massive gap between leg slip and backward square leg.

• Advertisement

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

India always flatter in bilateral t20 games but this time feels different. Maybe they won't be shambles come next world cup time

Thing for England is more results like this and their batting will start to lose the aura of invincibility it has.

England looking set for a 200 plus score, 82/2 after 9 with big hitters to come.

Entertaining start at the Oval. India inserted England and have them at 17-4 in the 6th Over. Three ducks: Roy (as usual!) Root and Stokes. Bumrah's figures are 3-1-6-3.

England have been utterly humiliated in the first ODI!

Bowled out for 110 (Bumrah 6-19) and India have beaten them by 10 wickets in the 19th over.

In theory this was a 100 over game, in fact it lasted less than 46 overs!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Underwhelming start to Buttlers tenure as Captain so far. I think he'd have probably preferred to take over before the Ireland series!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

That is a truly embarrassing result for England that's the kind of hammering the likes of the netherlands would get.

• Advertisement

Very impressive performance by England..to level the series, great match.

Englands bowlers win it for them…

Topley 6/24 was particularly impressive and nicely backed up by his colleagues..

Advertisement