Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens Jubilee, what's the craic

• 30-05-2022 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭

So the Queens jubilee is upon us this weekend. Any people in here residing in the UK currently especially, what's your thoughts?

Will you be out celebrating an extra days bank holiday (woo!) or staying indoors, curtains pulled and lights off?

I live in the UK and the union jack coloured bunting is appearing everywhere along with the union jack flag. I'm not overly enthused by it all personally. Feel like I can't say much as its "Engulundddd". I'll probably spend thr weekend doing bits around the house.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,803 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would say people will welcome the extra two days off...but I would think the UK people could do with having the money spent elsewhere.

Thats on top of the what 300+ million the royal family cost the UK per year...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If QE2 hangs on for another five years will there a big 75th anniversary bash? Don't even know what the 'gem' would be for that, maybe she'd be off the scale at that stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think you have it sussed pretty well.

When in Rome do as the Roman's do sort of vibe.

If you don't want to partake nobody will notice or bother you.

You should probably work a bit on your grasp of punctuation. Queen's English and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah they seem pretty mad for it here in London. There are street parties arranged in all the neighbourhoods around where I'm living, I was living here also during Will and Kate's wedding and the parties were great. Anything from streets full of families having lunch, to Jamaicans with massive speakers out on the streets smoking weed and drinking Guinness. The way they do these street things is something I wish we could do in Ireland, it has a real sense of community. They seem to love Queenie here, not sure how it'll go when Chazza is on the throne, maybe Liz is the last one they'll be that bothered with.

The extra bank holiday,would be nice for anyone tbf

But the notion of royalty and all it entails utterly rots me though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

No pedos or blacks allowed on the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭standardg60

Imagine it will be akin to our own extra bank holiday next year, which we'll diligently spend making crosses in deference to the person responsible for the extra day off

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

By coincidence Im in London this weekend and staying with English friends who cant stand the Royals but theyve just moved house to a new area and their new neighbours have all roped them into a street party on Friday night and they feel they cant not show up.

So its looking like on Friday evening I'll be sitting at some long table in a street surrounded by miniature union jacks and bunting everywhere for a jolly knees up for the queen. An Aussie mate who cant stand the queen is coming too and hes saying we should all buy full on union jack suits and hats from a tacky tourist shop just to really take the piss out of the occasion. We're all going to see Liam Gallagher at Knebworth on Saturdaty and he wants to wear them there too. I like his thinking but Im not quite down with that idea.

At least the pubs in England are all open till 2am this weekend for the jubilee so there is that. I cant wait for the juiblee carnage that follows from people drinking all evening till 2am, should be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

That's half the royals

I'll be singing a rendition of the anthem cos I'm a brit

Save all our notorious and vainglorious

God save our queen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭buried

Well, at least she was Irish and not some German/Franco/Norman descendant. Those aren't 'crosses' by the way, those are swastikas celebrating the Sun.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You choose to live in a country, you take part in it's celebrations. Fit in, or **** off, so to speak.

The OP refusing to take part would be a bit like me refusing to do anything celebratory on Paddy's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Should an alcoholic have a drink on Paddy's day because they live in the country?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Saw them last night. Adam Lambert is a brilliant replacement for the irreplaceable Freddie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

While I do believe that the constant Brit Bashing that goes on in Ireland is tiresome, I think that if someone is not interested in this event while living in the UK they are entitled to just ignore it as much as anyone foreigner living in Ireland is entitled to have no interest in St Patrick's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,215 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's a bit ego centric isn't it? Hey country. Everyone has to care about and celebrate the anniversary that I started my job on.

But they've little else to be celebrating and it's a handy distraction from the mountains of sh1t piling upon their doorstep through brexit and the Johnson administration

Ignoring is perfectly fine. I'm Irish but ignore Patrick's Day every single year.. Plus expecting an Irish person to celebrate the monarchy is expecting a bit much.. Ignoring and doing own thing is pretty respectful overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not really, no-ones putting a gun to anyone's head to have fun or else, least of all you.

There's Irish people who dont partake in Paddys Day, cringe by day and downright dangerous in Dublin when night falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's definitely bizarre, practically cultish. Like throwing an anniversary party for a celebrity, except the taxpayer is footing the bill and the media will provide blanket coverage of the celebrations for a whole weekend.

British people would mock North Korean celebration of the leader's birthday, but see no issue with this display.

I have a personal issue with monarchies in general though, so obviously my view will be tainted. They represent one of the last vestiges of a more backwards humanity. The concept that "bloodlines" and heritage make one person or group of people innately superior to others and entitled to more power, wealth or better treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What a pointlessly contrarian take.

no surprise there I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Whatever your politics it’s a four day drinking session that we are missing out on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

You realise that when you live in another country you have a choice to partake in their traditions, right? Unless its North Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Don't get me started. The bunting is up on the street. The kids school is going into overkill and she's excited - trying to explain to a Disney princess loving 5yr old is a but futile. I've had to hold my tongue while out of the house quite a few times of late.

It's all just bizarre to me but what can you do in a place where people will fight and die for the right to be subjects and be treated as unequal....

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Staleturnips

Irish here in London.

Saturday morning I'm going to watch the Trooping of the colour (royal military parade sort of thing), in the afternoon watch the royals on the balcony with RAF flyout and then in the evening watch Galway, hopefully beat, Kilkenny in the Hurling in a central London boozer.

Like who the hell am I? I'm like some kind of cultural transvestite. So so wacky by Monday I'll probably be using they/them pronouns.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jesus christ,, that sounds like fascism. Should they hunt down those who refuse to celebrate as well? Throw them out of the country too because you think they should "fit in or fcuk off"? Thats all my republican English mates who dont want to celebrate it and dont want anything to do with a monarchy. They are born and bred there and perfectly entitled to their opinions in a democracy rather than being told by you to "fcuk off" <rolleyes>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The UK are having a celebration. It has nothing to do with Ireland. Not sure why anyone cares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Not much sign of Queenie celebrations in the Gooner Valley so far, I don't think most people are that bothered, particularly the younger generations. Extra Bank Holiday is welcome so many will be out for a beer, especially if the weather is fine.

Go into Westminister & the City & it will be full of Tories from the shires & tourists, London is so large it's like many cities in one.

I think the media portrayal of every street having a party is over the top, there's no bunting around here & more Ukraine flags than Union Jacks. 60 residential streets closed in a Borough of 250,000 people suggests the media are hyping the event out of all proportion to real public interest.

Advertisement