Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV cables - Saorview

Options
  • 22-05-2022 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi,

My parents have a Samsung UE49NU7100 Smart TV. I understand that this is a Saorview enabled TV. They have cables coming out of the wall (see attached picture). I'm wondering what do they need in order to connect these to the back of the TV in order to get Saorview?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,118 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do they have an aerial, where do the cables go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Lostinspace

I need to double check that. It's a rental house they moved into while they're waiting for their new house to be ready. I might post a picture on here of the aerial when the mother sends it on.

Some additional pictures attached. There is an aerial on the roof and a better picture of the cables behind the TV. Does this help? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 81,118 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it could be an aerial in the attic or on the roof.

With that cable set up you could put a F to tv coax connector adapter on the end of the cable and it should go directly in to the TV, if the cable is not long enough you could get a Coax Cable with 2 F connectors to extend the cable to reach the tv and place the F to tv coax connector adapter on the end to go in to the tv.

Here's some examples, should be available in most DIY stores...

Thank you very much. I'll ask them to give that a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is there a satellite dish on the house?

Those two wall connectors, F-female, are generally associated with satellite feeds, but not exclusively.

No satellite dish on the roof. I might buy a connector for the TV and see if that works.

I've attached a picture of the back of the TV. So the 1.5m Coax Cable should go directly into the back of the TV and I wouldn't need an F to TV adapter?

Thank you

I'm wondering why there are 2 cables. A Sky+ box uses 2 cables, but a regular TV aerial only requires 1.

The satellite dish doesn't have to be on the roof, it could be mounted at the rear, front or gable end of a house.

Get the cables and adapter and see what works. The TV has a satellite tuner built-in.

Will do. I'll get them to check the back of the house tomorrow for a satellite dish. Unfortunately they can't get wifi and TV in as Vodafone said they'd have to bore holes, which is against the terms of the lease. A bit of a nightmare. Hence why Saorview might be a good option.

They're hotspotting from their phones which has worked relatively well to date.

I've attached one more picture of a wall connection in the kitchen which looks like it would pick up Saorview, once they get a coaxial cable?

Thank you

What's going on with that F-connector into that coax wallplate, how's it wired in behind?

Regarding WiFi would a 4g/5g mobile router with SIM be an option for them instead of hot-spotting from their phones?

• Advertisement

Not sure about the F connector to be honest.

I was thinking about a router but I'm sure it gives the exact same speed as the hotspot off their phones?

Advertisement