Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming homeless with full time job

Options
  • 21-05-2022 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

How is this possible? How is this becoming a norm? Why is this happening? Am I doing something wrong? 

How is a family of two, both in full employment and not on the minimum wage just a week from becoming homeless?

Our landlord decided to sell and couldn't care less that a month notice is not enough to find alternative accommodation. We have been applying to hundreds of apartments, flats, studios in and outside of Dublin but either couldn't even get viewings or were told "oh you're really nice but, unfortunately, we're looking for a single person". We have excellent references, never missed a payment, left previous properties in better state than we found them and are less than a week from living in our car. This is madness. I don't know what to do anymore.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

How long are you in the rental? One months notice is only valid if you are there for less than six months.

Are you house sharing with the LL or renting a property?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Edit: double post

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its only double display by the forum - so you've edited out the actual post. Not that its obvious that that is what's happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Overhand loop

We signed 1 year lease last December. I have a feeling that other tenants received their notices earlier as they started moving a month before we got ours. Could be a coincidence but I have a feeling it's not.

• Advertisement

And how recently did you receive the notice?

If the notice is invalid - they often are - and needs to be reissued, it would be over the 6 months and give you 90 days.

Renting. I don't even know where landlord lives but not here. His post comes here though.

Looks like he is trying to pull a fast on, with the post. He'll try to claim that he is living there.

Get on the the RTB, you have more than 30 days

We're less than 6 months into our lease. He knows his stuff. We got our notice 22 days ago.

I'd suggest getting Threshold to take a look at the notice. They are very, very easy to get wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

If you signed a one year lease and it hasn’t been a year, the landlord can only evict you for non payment of rent or breach of the lease. Contact Threshold. They will read the lease and advise you. I am a landlord myself and these types of a***holes give us all a bad name.

I feel like we don't have that option. Looking back at it there were signs that this was pretty much planned and we were tricked into it as a sort of rental income gap filler. He knows what he's doing and l have looked at all legislations myself and it looks like we've no luck. I'm not a lawyer though.

We want to be out of here and forget this place existed at all but can't get rental anywhere. What will be our options once we live in a car. Social will not help us. We have income. We are not refugees. Who to ask for help? We never asked government for anything. Paid taxes, paid rent. Now we are treated like lepers. Can't get even worse of the worst places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

1. Chronic short supply of housing
    2. If we were in the 80s now, there would have been plane-loads of people leaving - freeing up houses. Now we have people who just don't feel like working (despite there being lots of work available) and we give them a house and a free salary so why leave at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

He can't physically evict you himself just to note or you can call the Gardai. Should you need more time, it's worth having that in the back pocket.

Is there anything to be said for getting your big items into a storage lot as a first step so you are a bit more flexible with moving should you end up living in a few places before getting a longer term rental again?

Otherwise, get advice on the lease and the notice in the first instance and keep looking for a rental or even a studio, applying as just one of you, then getting the other in after the lease is signed in order to not split yourselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

It’s a site issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Very few rentals are advertised on daft/myhome.

Most are simply listed with agents and they have a list of people looking for property.

I'd look outside Dublin but near a train station. Sallins is a good area as is maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

You've contacted the RTB and your landlord has registered your tenancy with the RTB? You need a yes to both of these. If landlord has not registered the tenancy then...

If the tenancy is indeed registered then the RTB will be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Deeec

Op you are in a **** situation. Hold off though on going nuclear by contacting RTB, threshold, solicitor etc. First of all sit down face to face with your landlord and tell them your position. If they are any way decent they will let you stay another while until you are sorted. They may even be able to get you somewhere else to live by using their landlord contacts.

Honestly clear communication with the landlord is best in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Work your network, not just looking online Someone you know knows Someone who needs a reliable tenant like you, and doesn't want to advertise.

• Advertisement

But have they actually spoke to the landlord and explained that they are trying their best to find somewhere but can't at the moment?

Going to the RTB first without speaking to the landlord is going to antagonise the landlord and ultimately lead to a soured relationship. If the landlord is not understanding then go to the RTB.

As I said clear communication is key in situations like this. Often intervention by RTB, threshold etc actually does more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

we ve clearly completely wrecked our property market, i wish you the best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The landlord has issued the notice in-line with the law un palatable as it might be for the tenant. The landlord might have very good reasons to sell thats their business. However again I see suggestions on how to thwart the legal process. This does no one any good in the long term. Landlord has additional unnecessary expenses and no one will rent to the tenant after.

Additionally it only makes it harder collective for potential tenants to fond a place to rent with stories like this.

This story told by the lordland could go like this.... rented to tenant had to sell abided by the law and the tenant is still in the property. Wheres the justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Here is one option. It is a bit of a stretch but 1 hour and 10 mins away from Dublin on the train. https://www.propertypal.com/property-to-rent/newry

I’d offer £50 over the asking prices to speed up the process.

⬆️ That’s the rtb page about ending a fixed term tenancy, which is what you have if you signed a one year lease. The ll is not following the rules here at all. Doesn’t matter what signs you had this was coming, the ll is in the wrong to give you a month’s notice.

If I were you I wouldn’t be moving into my car. Call Threshold. They’re a tenant advocacy organisation not a state agency. They will give you advice, not fine your landlord.

1800 454 454

🤦‍♀️Sigh - op don't do this yet.

Talk to your landlord and explain your situation. It's unlikely they will turf you out if you explain to them that you can't find accommodation yet.

But why not do both? Threshold will not contact the landlord. They will tell op what their rights are. Surely that’s information they should have??

The easiest bloody thing to do is talk to the landlord. It's astounding the amount of people on boards who have accomodation problems that could be rectified by actually talking to their landlord! Contrary to popular belief not all landlords are evil ogres that don't care. The one sure way of getting the landlords heckles up is quoting threshold or threatening reporting them to RTB.

All the op needs is a bit of extra time to find a place which I'm sure the landlord will give if they the hear the ops situation.

• Advertisement

I dunno. The landlord signed a contract they had no intention of honouring, knowing it would cause huge disruption to op. I wouldn’t be so confident they’ll agree to give op longer out of the good of their heart. But talking to the landlord is certainly a good idea. I would also want to be sure of my rights, which is why I would call Threshold if I was unclear (which op seems to be).

And I’m not anti-ll as you seem to suggest. I’m a landlord myself. I’m anti-d***head.

Advertisement