If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Cycling Ireland Insurance. Does it cover you abroad?

  • 11-05-2022 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

    I cannot find it anywhere in the CI website.

    Insurance says that cover training rides but does not mention geography so was wondering if this would cover you in any EU country (or any country).



  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

    Most half decent travel insurance will. Not the basic packages but often the mod tier packages that are maybe 3 quid more.

    Probably more comprehensive too

  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

    I contacted CI recently about this:

    I'm just trying to see if the Third Party Liability and the Personal Accident Insurance cover add-on provide cover for CI members when on club spins abroad.

    I and a number of other club members will be travelling to Spain soon and I just wanted to check.

    ...and their response...

    You are covered, but we always recommend taking out travel insurance as the limits are not great for travelling abroad

    Their policy docs are at the bottom of this page. On page 10/16 of the Policy document, it says...

    Where am I covered?

    › You are covered in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

    › Temporary contracts are covered within the EU and non-manual visits anywhere in the world. 

    I then tried to get "regular" travel cover and found many of them don't cover cycling activities. Those that did generally don't cover people who have cardiac issues (which I have) so left me with very few choices. In the end I went with VHI.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Galego

    Any idea what the below means?

    › Temporary contracts are covered within the EU and non-manual visits anywhere in the world. 

  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

    I guess it's not my interpretation that counts. CI told me that I'd be covered abroad. If you want clarification on that quote I'd advise asking them.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

    I wouldn't travel in EU without that

    Check out your own health insurance to if you have it.

    CI insurance is a good fit for a very specific loss, (excess of 500 and a max payout of 2500 from memory) some much so its useless a lot of the time.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

    It really is a bit of a minefield tryting to get cover for cycling trips abroad. Some companies only include "incidental" cycling so if you are booking in for a training camp or going on a week long charity event, that's not regarded as incidental. VHI cover cycling but with no personal accident or personal liability cover!! They also exclude mountain-biking, BMX and touring so that's not much use. I eventually went with and paid €30 extra for cycle touring/cycling holiday even though the medical excess is increased to €320, the personal accident sum is reduced by 50% and personal liability is excluded. There are some good deals from UK based firms but once you list Ireland as your home, you are immediately excluded.