Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer lingus - Standby for earlier flights

• 10-05-2022 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Not a regular Aer lingus customer so I have no idea how the standby option works.

I have booked a 20:10 flight from LHR to DUB on a Friday. I may be able to get out of work earlier so booked a flight that has an option of being on standby for earlier flights.

I have looked at their website/app to see how this is done in practice, do I avoid checking in and simply go to the airport early? Do I need to contact someone telling them I need an earlier flight?

Thank you for any pointers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Aer Lingus is a relatively large operator at LHR and has its own staffed ticket desk beside their check in area in T2. They will be able to put you on the new flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Thank you. So don't check in via the app and just arrive earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Yes. Even if you've checked in online there should be no problem for them to reissue you a new boarding card at the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

They used to do this pretty easily down at the gates even... But stopped age's ago unless you were willing to pay more.

Maybe post covid they do it again now??

Cheers all, the plan will be (work permitting) get to Heathrow as early as possible without checking in online and ask at the desk.

Its got me thinking, when taking a standby seat do you get the same type of ticket, as in class?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Get to LHR, go to check in or ticket desk in person, ask. (The ticket desk can issue boarding cards as well...)

If booked economy then its economy, any selected seat won't be honoured clearly but likely they will sort out something decent in rows 2-7

If its Aer Space then you could be told no if its full, but if a A330 or A321 is on the flight you want you should be grand.

For status holders the lounge/transfer desk would offer to put you on an earlier flight as a matter or routine especially if there any possible delay on your booked flight, got me home many a time ahead of schedule. The staff do this many times a day so don't worry.

Unwritten policy at LHR is to get people on a plane and away as it frees up space for anyone who arrived late on a connecting flight and missed the onward connection.

^^^ Prefect, thank you.

Advertisement