Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After work drinks got totally totally out of hand

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I once went back to the office with a friend to pick something up after drunken Thursday night drinks.

He put a hole in the inner office wall opposite the director's office and he left a load of dints in the lift doors as he was taking out some frustrations on it.

He had to use his ID for us to get in the building.... was about 1 in the morning. We went in the next day and saw the damage done .... as you can imagine we were sh1tting it.

Anyway, nothing ever came of it....at all. We were nervous for a few days but nothing happened.

You've nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Seems a lot of posts were deleted. I am guessing I was right about the scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

OP, bring them all out again this Friday for another massive piss-up, and try to get to the bottom of it 🤤 ...do the same, every Friday.... pretty soon, they'll realize you are a total ledge-bag, and everyone will love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

>>Mod Snip<<

@toyotatommy Please read the Charter before posting in PI/RI again

HS

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If you went home and fell asleep in your bed, would you feel differently then?I just don't see how it is your fault that people went back to the office and had a row.

I can't imagine why they felt they needed to be back in the office either but I guess that's another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Absolutely sounds like the Fear. I get this, when absolutely nothing happened !!!

Are you anxious because you are Senior to the rest of the team??? You left. The rest decided to return to the office and there was a "drunken relationship row". How does this relate to you? You didn't even blow company funds on the booze so really there is no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vegandinner

This is the fear.

it’s likely everyone out past midnight is feeling the fear right now.

it’ll be forgotten by this day next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I would be worried about the drinks before 9pm..on company premises..how would that be received?

Someone should have knocked that on the head.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

The in's and out's of a couples argument and what instigated it surely aren't the companies business. Raised voices, altercations and drinking on company grounds are. You had no involvement in that so you are in the clear. Are you afraid said couple will try and defend their behavior by saying something you said upset them? What you said was said outside of working hours with a few drinks onboard. Apologize, but don't take responsibility for what happened after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

OP was there until 9pm for the drinks in the company garden.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It depends on the company. Some places I've worked have had an "absolutely no way" policy towards alcohol on the premises, in others it was perfectly normal the day of the Christmas party, etc and in my last job we had Champagne Fridays where there was fizz in the boardroom from 4pm on the last Friday of every month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

@CreadanLady I have deleted your post as it is off topic and not what the OP is seeking advice on. Please offer the OP advice on their issue when replying to their thread.

Thanks

HS

No you won,t be in trouble for that hypothetical. Drunken personal conversation out of work hours. _snip-

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sounds like a good night out. **** happens at the end of nights where lots of drinks are consumed. No one got hurt, drunk words were spoken, **** happens, bet everyone had a good night and all will be forgotten in a painfully blurred haze the following day.

Remember, if there is no video, it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

How is it you know that things you said contributed to the row? You left that part out? Can you remember what you said, or did someone tell you you said the things that sparked the row? And are the people involved in the "drunken relationship row" going to move jobs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Thanks for the replies everyone. They certainly prevented me from making one stupid move.

To answer the questions:

On a sunny evening, Thursday or Friday drinks in the garden would be reasonably well accepted. Senior execs are known join in sometimes.

Re the row. I don't think I started but I contributed to it. The issue of kids was probably somewhere in the conversation.

No evidence of people being moved so far. I understand at least one of the colleague who came back to the office drunk and caused a scene got given a dressing-down by their manager. I have heard one or two humorous comments but nothing else so far. I suppose anything could still happen in the coming weeks.

Unless there’s a disciplinary in train that you don’t know about I reckon that’s the end of it - it’s lesson learned. Remember just because the company allows drinking in their garden Friday evenings doesn’t mean it’s a good idea or a licence to get rat arsed- it usually takes just one bad incidence to shut down such a practice- this obviously hasn’t happened yet.

Many companies don’t allow alcohol in a work setting for this reason and more and more are now not sponsoring mass p1ss ups in pubs I.e. free bar all night- as they will be held liable in an employment tribunal/labour court if something goes array.

Employment law is very clear in the area of company sponsored drunkenness and there are many cases going back many years so this is not new.

Yes it’s a dampener on enjoyment but unfortunately it’s the reality today - I would be careful around how long you stay at future events and to regulate how much you drink at these events- it’s obvious now how quickly things can escalate - you’re better than this and are obviously in a position of authority and seniority - might be time to limit social interactions outside working hours abs stick to your friends for enjoyment

Advertisement