Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Brooks finally got rid of Chase getting invites of his name. His highlight is great 6 top 10's

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't often defend Rory but he actually said that his stance had softened in relation to Phil, rather than LIV... And that was tied in with the fact that Phil wasn't (allowed) defending his Major. Now it's probably an indirect softening towards the LIV as well, but he was talking about his previous reaction to Phil's comments.

He also "backtracked" and said that LIV clearly wasn't dead in the water... Which it clearly isn't.

Rather than it being a stick to beat him with, he was just giving honest responses. As he does more often than not. Maybe too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

There are 6 places to be confirmed so possible that Phil will be one of the 6???

Hard to look forward to an event with that level of field... but "free to air" on youtube. They offered it to all comers for free but no tv network took it up as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

He is expected to be added as one of the last six players. 42 named so far out of a field of 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Augme

I find it surprising people giving out about the ayers being greedy etc etc. St the end of the day a tournament like this is only going to be a success if Joe Public watch it. The reality is most people giving out about the greed are going tonend up watching it. Especially if all the big names start attending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yea 6 places left, 5 of them are for Qualifiers from the Asian tour and 1 "Wildcard" who is expected to be Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Xander10

I agree it was taken out of context by the media.

But Phil wasn't banned from defending his Major.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I am sure the majority of people spoofing on about greed have no issue with wages paid to the princesses in the premiership or other leagues.

Who here wouldn't leave their job for x2 or x3 times salary somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Avon8

If you read any of the twitter replies to US based journalists talking about DJ moving across, the replies are either:

-"How dare he disrespect the Tour that made him"

-"Why would he want to move there when the standard will be so bad"

"Good on him, he deserves to be paid"

The concept of sportswashing or this being ethically wrong hasn't seemed to cross the minds of American fans whatsoever. I suppose when your governments have been so intertwined with the Saudi's for decades it makes a difference. There's very little deterrent for DJ, who probably doesn't care much what the public think of him in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah, that's not complete nonsense, but it's not the same either. Maybe you're salaries are very different to mine, but doubling or tripling it would mean I could pay off my mortgage much faster, do things with the house, have a healthy pension, go on a fancy holiday etc. It would still be ethically questionable, but not as bad. It would basically go towards making me more financially secure.

The lads we're giving out about on this tour are already free of money worries for life. They're worth millions already. They could retire and play golf for the rest of their lives if they want. We can try to rephrase it whatever way we want, but it is greed. There's other questionable things people do for money too - investing in sectors that cause harm to society. Like smoking, gambling, oil, etc. But that's just getting into whataboutery. Essentially the Saudi's here are paying you to make them look better. Your role in this is to make them seem more acceptable by giving them sports to think about when they think of Saudi Arabia, instead of their treatment of women, gays, journalists, etc. That's what the pros have to weigh up when being offered the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Probably just a coincidence that they release the list of names on the eve of Jack's event, given he turned down the job Norman has......

All that said, I'm surprised anyone has an issue with the concept of another tour tbh. Personally I think the PGA and DP World tours could have been less protectionist and worked with the others to everyone's benefit. They may regret that in the future, and instead of losing a few sh1tty events in the middle of nowhere, they could lose a big chunk of their upper echelon players once those guys see others picking up massive money quite easily. As for the ethical ideals - complete red herring IMO, there have been sanctioned Saudi events before with no issue, and anyone who has ever filled up their car with petrol has lost that argument really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

‘there have been sanctioned Saudi events before with no issue, and anyone who has ever filled up their car with petrol has lost that argument really’

Sportwashing….

You just don’t get it

Was supposed to be released last Friday - the rumour is the hold up was trying to secure DJ

Why has Norman and co not create a tour which was part of the owgr

Trying to create a splinter group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Ah come on, he effectively was, certainly from the Masters where he still has a chance of sorts. Playing in the PGA would've involved some level of degrading grovelling (certainly in Phil's eyes) and possibly burning his LIV connections. The head of the PGA indirectly intimated what would be necessary for Phil to compete.

Phil should've had the option to rock up to the Masters and PGA, he's more than earned that over the years. It's still lost on people that the main heat for his comments were calling a key American ally "scary motherf@#€ers". That's why he lost KPMG. Now the PGA Tour wanted to punish him, but that may well backfire as it could harden his stance and make others question the Tour's approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is there no world ranking points for LIV golf?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He tried already years ago, the Tours caved and created the WGC in response

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Xander10

I wouldn't think grovelling is beyond Phil. He never struck me as having any moral compass.

He's pretty disliked by fellow Pros.

He made the decision not to compete despite the likes of Rory etc saying he should.

Essentially Norman wants every golfer to be a Free Agent and be able to play any tournament no matter what it's affiliation anywhere in the World without compromise and in fairness that is a very valid aspiration.

• Advertisement

All that was needed was to allow a proper Asian Tour sanctioned swing aka wheelbarrow events in the PGA off-season after the playoffs, but instead they went to war protecting the Sanderson Farms classic

Which in theory they kind of are already, there are no player contracts or anything, just Tour rules like x number of events, as Harrington mentioned before.

Greg is just testing that theory now and the legal ramifications will be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

noone cares what rory says only his fan boys, he changes his opinion like the wind. A child among men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

It's exciting too and some great courses lined up to play

By all accounts the first course is fairly bog standard. I feel they haven't really come up with enough innovating and interesting changes to make it compelling viewing.

Missed opportunity imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Thanks for telling me what I don't get, good contribution right there.

So what don't I get about sportswashing then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

‘Others are doing it, so why shouldn’t golf?’

Really - If I'm honest (and I like to think I'm a bit of a golf nut) other than trump courses (his general PR is impressive) I had to google the most of the rest...

Just looking at the list of courses & where they are ranked on the top100golfcourses website - I know it is not the gospel of golf courses but a general indication:

Centurion: 5th best in County (Hertfordshire)

Pumpkin Ridge: 16th in State (Oregon)

Bedminister: 15th in State (New Jersey) but to be fair this was supposed to host this years PGA

Rich Harvest Farms: 20th in State (Illinois)

Trump Doral: 20th in State (Florida)

Stone Hill: New in Thailand so not rated

The Oaks/international: cannot find a ranking

Royal greens Jeddah: #1 in Saudi Arabia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭dublin49

It certainly is an attractive proposition for the golfers,not so much for the organisers /Sponsors of tournaments ,Ultimately and ironically this massive financial investment may drive down the amounts available in the long term.If say the Irish Open is looking for a sponsor in August for the 2023 edition and they cannot guarantee that even the journeymen on European Tour will turn up well then the European tour has a big problem.The PGA is more insulated but ultimately the same is true,Sponsors won't want to fund tournaments that are not the pre eminent golf tournament that week.The top golfers in the world have a well oiled money making machine in the PGA that once they are playing well will richly reward their efforts and seamlessly allows them a pre retirement 5/10 years on the PGA Seniors to fill their boots,they ruffle this particular golden goose at their peril.

Advertisement