If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Sick leave civil service

  • 05-05-2022 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

    Going to be out 5 days with medical complaint. Submitted a medical report. Eo says I must apply for illness benefit. Latest HR circular says you must be out 6 days or more before you need to apply for illness benefit. Permanent civil servant with no prior absences.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

    Between 2014 & 2021 the unpaid waiting period was 6 days, which would tie in with that circular.

    It is back down to 3 days now, so there would be 2 days payment due under current rules.

    It seems the circular hasn't been updated to reflect that.

  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

    Is that someone from peoplepoint saying that? I think you do need to complete an illness benefit claim, IB1 and Med 1 forms, and mandate the payment to your department if it is more than 3 days but I assumed NSSO let you know the specifics of what needs to be submitted and followed up on it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭jaffa20

    Isn't the Med1 form for your own personal medical expenses? I'm confused about need to complete this. My doctor's surgery said they'd do the IB1 form and didn't ask for any payment mandate detail. Would anyone have any more info on this. I sent medical cert to NSSO so maybe they will be in contact about it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

    Illness Benefit is to replace your income if your employer doesn't pay you when you are out sick.

    If they do pay sick leave, as the Civil Service does, then you normally agree as part of your terms of employment to have any Illness Benefit paid to the employer instead of you.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭jaffa20

    Thanks, so it sounds like my doctor send the certificate/IB1 to social welfare for me. Not sure how they will mandate the payment though. Maybe i can do that here?

  • Advertisement