Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Affordable Gravel frameset options in Post Brexit world

Options
  • 04-05-2022 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi ,

I have amassed a bunch of parts over the years and am looking at building a Gravel Bike if I could get a frameset for in or around €700 or second hand that fits.

Steel would be ideal but I'd consider aluminum too.

Any ideas or options from the continent?

I have a heavy surly Disc trucker and I like it but I have it weighed down with racks , mud guards etc. I'd like a more fun, shorter wheel based faster bike that's lighter for other types of spins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

AFAIK duty on framesets from outside the EU is 4% rather than the 14% levied on complete bikes, so that might make UK options more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Bike Components have a couple of Surly's in your price range (although stock is hit and miss and often weird sizes but I did find a 56). Bike 24 also have a Wilier Jaroon

I snuck a Genesis CdF in about a week before Brexit - steel frames don't seem to be as big of a recent trend in other EU countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

As the owner of three British steel bikes, the whole steel in real line is boll1x.

Big volume tyres, narrow seat post and you will be right as rain.

Have a look at Whyte (MTB DNA), Ribble, Cotic etc if you are set on UK, and the latter two have steel options.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭monkeyactive

So you mean if your tires are big enough then frame material isn't really going to make that much odds?

How do you like the CDF? I was hoping to build one up light enough although its not a light frame

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You could get a finna explorer for about that a few months agom Reynolds 853. It was a steel (pun intended) gone back up now.

You could get a sonder Camino frameset too for 500ish a while back. Think they have stock but have shipping issues.

I got myself a second hand pinnacle Arkose, stripped it and put a load of parts i had on it.

Running ultegra / st685 shifters wih a 46/30 chainset and an 11-36 chainset and have clearance for 42mm tyres with loads of room. It's a lot of fun, and probably cost me half what I'd be paying otherwise

Just checked. The finna explorer is now a grand. I really wanted to buy it last year

Their aluminium equivalent is 600ish

https://www.finnacycles.com/frames/307-finna-landscape-aluminium-frameset.html#/1-size-s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

I have one (complete bike - not a build) and love it. Mine tips the scales at around 13kg I think with rack and guards. Not sure what the max size tyres you'll get on it are, the last set of 35mm I tried were tight - though it's perfect with 32mm Panaracer gravelkings at the moment. No guards, you'll should get over 40mm on I've a compact Tiagra on at the minute, and do find the bottom end wanting at times when loaded. My longer term plan is to change it out for GRX or something with more forgiving gear ratios (speed's not a criteria here for me). I use it as mainly as a commute/wet weather workhorse, though I did have a lot of fun on hardpack trails in France a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I like it but don't love it. It's very comfortable but it is heavy. Fine for rides without too much climbing but I go on the odd group gravel ride and sometimes wish I had something else.

I bought the carbon fork to try to bring the weight down but haven't gotten round to fitting it yet.

I could sell it in 6 months or could still own it in 10 years, I don't really know yet. On the other hand my favourite current bike is a Genesis Equilibrium (picked up the frame in the Netherlands for 350 earlier this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Could try sonder Camino frameset, they cover the duties etc coming from UK. I got a full Camino from them on bike to work even, paid not a cent more than the website price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

Thanks , I think this is what I am looking for , affordable frameset , lighter than my current steel bike Cheers

They won't ship the sonder to Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Get a 90's MTB frame ;)

Advertisement