Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acoustic Intonation "Out"

• 27-04-2022 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

The intonation on my acoustic is out on the top E string only.

Its a new purchase and the first time I've changed strings, and I didn't notice it being out before, so probably wasn't "out" before I changed strings, or not as much as it is now. All other strings sound fine.

It's a high end hand-made guitar and oddly enough, the top nut hadn't been fixed/glued to the neck. Any reasons why that might be? Or an oversight?

What are the main likely culprits? Its out by about an eight of a tone, so by the 12th its jarring on the ear, but only on the top E.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Different gauge strings could throw the intonation out a bit. Check that the saddle is seated correctly, that the nut is likewise, and maybe lookup what gauge the manufacturer uses from the factory. Failing that, a trip to your local trusted repairman would be my next move.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Thanks for that. Its possibly a combination of those things. But hopefully nothing to do with the neck as it doesn't affect the other strings. It's a one off guitar made by a violin maker. I think a visit to my regular luthier is in order. Cheers!

One off by a violin maker, and you haven't posted pictures?! Come now, I think we all want to see that!

Yeah, if the neck was bowing significantly, or shifted to the side, you'd have other strings doing odd things, and you'd be able to see a large bow or strings getting closer to the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yup, agreed.

string gauge would be y first target

just seeing post today. yeah its as pretty as a picture.

• Advertisement

That is gorgeous! Hope you get the intonation sorted, it deserves to be set up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

that is VERY pretty!

don't worry about the nut not being glued, That's common enough.

It's a sturdy guitar with a good bit of weight to it. I'm clocking onto the various builds of guitars, and really appreciating the abilities and sound of Gibson L-00 specs. For me, the neck has its limitations, barring wise, a bit too wide up the neck, but the sound is fab, that's the trade off I guess. I must re-string it with 11's ( I changed to 10's and I'm pretty sure now that's what's put the intonation out on the top E.

Advertisement