Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was your "this is serious" moment at the start of COVID-19 outbreak?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. For us the start of a road down which we had never thought we would be travelling ..it turned out he was suffering from an autoimmune disease that is now being treated with immunosuppressive therapy, and Covid may or may not have been the trigger . Scary time for us ..especially him .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I was in Australia on holiday as it started up. Had to cut the holiday short and come home. In the end, it was about €900 single from Cairns to Brisbane to Dubai to Dublin, so it wasn't too bad. But at the time, transfer airports were shutting down or not letting people in, or quarantining even transfer passengers. I was in straits until we boarded the Dublin bound flight in Dubai, which was full of Irish people getting out and flying home. Only then did I know we were "safe" and could actually get home.

I know of a couple who didn't leave Australia in time and were stuck there for a month until rescue flights became a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭maebee

The events in Bergamo were terrifying but what really frightened the life out of me was when Dr. Catherine Motherway, President of the Intensive care Society of Ireland, first appeared on RTE, saying "You do NOT want to meet me in hospital". She put the fear of God into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It's so tough seeing them so sick and being powerless to help them.

At least you have a diagnosis and treatment plan. Plus the older they get the stronger they get, which is a big help in dealing with these things.

Haha , very good ...she is one scary Motherway alright 😁

• Advertisement

Ah he' s in college now 😊 ...but he'll always be my baby !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The day the schools closed.

It was a Thursday.I don't work Fridays,so I finished out my working day, packed up notebooks and bits and said see ya whenever to colleagues.Leo had said 2 weeks but I wasn't totally convinced on that.I thought maybe a couple of months.Two years, I certainly did not expect that anyway.

Sitting in a local coffee shop in a shopping centre for my lunch that day, watching people going in amd out of Dunnes and panic shopping -there were no trolleys left and the place was mobbed.I can't say that made it "serious" for me but it certainly made me wonder wtf is the going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

When our phones became sirens at 6pm announcing curfew being in effect to allow for sterilising of the streets (yes, they did that **** here. As if people were out licking the roads...)

At this point you could only leave to go to the supermarket or emergencies.

6th March 2020. Got an email from my mother's nursing home to say that all visiting was cancelled immediately until further notice. I never saw my mother again. She died on 22nd April and we weren't allowed in to see her. 22 more residents in her nursing home died in a two week period in April. We had to wait an extra day to bury her because we couldn't get a priest due to the number of funerals going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Definitely the northern Italy situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Yep, Bergamo here again. Even the most hardened Covid deniers couldn't counter that scene.

Then driving in to work one morning & finding the gates closed

Advertisement