Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht vs. Leinster, leg the first (Sportsground, Friday 8th April 8pm, BT Sport One)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Sexton is trash a big bully who must be toxic in a squad. Reminds me of him stamping and roaring at Carbery years back. the guy is like a big child and stomping around after the game not shaking hands sums him up. Good rugby player garbage human

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jim, at the very least you should use better material.

Sexton is clearly the leader of the dressing room and an overall positive influence in the squad. For Leinster and for Ireland.

Need I direct you to every single one of his teammates in exultation after he scored his try against Argentina on his 100th cap?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Seriously quality player. Would love to have him in Munster. (and I think we already have very decent fullbacks)

Ridiculously dependable and always a threat from deep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Thought the ref had a decent enough game in all fairness. The TMO got on my wick a few times. Picked up (rightly) some of our infringements but was nowhere to be seen for the review of the Connacht try, which I'm still sure should not have been allowed. At a minimum he should have been taking a good look at it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Wasn't too impressed with Conan tonight

In the first half he came off the back of the scrum and was stopped dead by a single Connacht back

Your 8 needs to be bulldozing those tackles in that position

Hes trash and a bully which is why the irish public dislike him along with many players

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I thought JGP should have been given a red. I admit that I don't know the exact framework for what a red card is. I hadn't heard of the factor of 'accepting the collision', which the referee spoke of. But the tackle was similar enough to others that had resulted in sending offs that I wouldn't have complained if JGP had met the same fate.

But there's a world of difference between JGPs challenge and this awful tackle made by a Brive player in their game against Saracens tonight. The former was far more passive. The Brive player launched himself shoulder first into the head of the Saracens player.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As long as we can disagree ;)

thought he was rubbish and the only downer on what was an entertaining contest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Well sorry Jim but think he is great and an absolute legend. The toughest and most competitive 10 Ireland has ever had, will be a sad day when he finally hangs up his boots.

Wow, that's bad.

Should be getting a very lengthy ban for that one

He has certain qualities, to be sure, but you'd have him on your team if you could. (unless you're Warren Gatland, but then they lost that series)

Yeah Conan's form has dipped. Couple of times today I thought he maybe lacked confidence to make decisions off the back of a dominant scrum but in an interview during the week he indicated that he felt the same about his current form so hopefully it's on the way back - you can't fix a problem you don't realise exists and he seems clued in for the most part. Will watch the game back but thought he generally showed up well on and off the ball.

On comments around Sexton that I've seen quoted, the guy was humbled by the Irish crowd in the Aviva to the point he couldn't out speak them into a microphone plugged into the loud speakers. He is overwhelmingly supported by reasonable and rationale people that love rugby and see one of the great leaders of the game in action. I've regularly likened him to Martin Johnson who had plenty of detractors but ultimately led a side to a world cup win and Sexton is far more influential in this Irish side.

He has been voted world player of the year. He has been a Lions starter. He is the most decorated Irish outhalf ever by some margin and one of the greatest players we've ever produced. He is unreasonably competitive in an almost Roy Keaneesque fashion but when he switches off outside of competition is well capable of being humble and retrospect as is well demonstrated. He's not a gifted athlete, but he is the most hard working and committed player Ireland has ever produced in a position where being a dedicated student of the game adds value and despite not being fast or having a step he's learned to defend like a forward (which Ross Byrne has inherited) and is one of the most gifted distributers in world rugby.

It's sad but mostly predictable that people can't get beyond their grudges to realise the impact he's had on the game in Ireland, and I say that as someone who thought he let Leinster down a bit today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Well said, Venjur.

Sorry, what I mean to say there was "I can't believe you're defending a flat track garbage bully who hates our Jack and is a big meanie to him. Poor sweet innocent Jack Carty."

Lets forget about sexton stamping and roaring at Carberry. The guy has history and is a known bully whos petulant behaviour is famous world wide. He is a piece of trash imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Its the lewis hamilton factor.

Your allowed to be a c&nt when your winning because it means you are driven (pun intended) and focused, behave like that when your losing and your just a see you next tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,128 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe Carberry needs to put on his big boy pants Jim? He appears to be meek? Probably from being in Sextons shadow for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

there's no force and JGP is completely passive...

virtually no level of danger.

Tell that to Marmion's nose😲

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

My view on it exactly. I’m after watching it back 6 or 8 times and I had to check the time and date on the video to be sure I wasn’t watching a tackle from a different match. As you said never in a million years is that a red card.

JGP was actually retreating backwards and Marmion runs straight into him. Unless JGP was expected to either jump out of the way or lie down and let Marmion jump over him there’s no more he could have done. And Marmion dips into him too which makes it look worse. I think a yellow was just about the right call if not even a bit harsh on JGP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

And yours would also be the opinion of every player that has ever played with or against him along with the vast majority of genuine rugby supporters.

I’m new to the rugby forum here but if that’s the same jimdemp that does be spouting pure drivel on The42 then I wouldn’t be paying much heed to him. To call him biased would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

So what you are saying is that Marmion broke his own nose ?? Maybe he should get cited and a ban for it ??

Would you say that to someone who has been assaulted ? No Carberry showed class and respect for others something Sexton will never have. I seriously think he may have arrested development from playing rugby and getting too many hits. I may be wrong but mentally he acts like a teenager. I will be paying close attention to him as he ages after rugby

Coombes knows how it feels to be on the receiving end of dirty leinster play that goes unpunished

• Registered Users Posts: 8,128 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yawn Jim! You jocks are probably overflowing with the shyte you spew.

You obviously despise Leinster and it must drive you nuts that they have been so successful over the last few years.

I feel your pain, it must be a heinous feeling, " deranged Leinster syndrome ".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Think this a bit silly. Fully agree with what venjur posted. Overall sexton has been a massive positive for Irish rugby but every so often he goes beyond competitive to petulant and that is what he was in that interaction, honestly carty laughing it off and making his point in a calm manner made him look all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Leinster benefitted from that last week and as said at the time it’s something that is rarely punished once a try has been scored. It’s incredibly annoying and easily fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I didn't see the game last week but Connacht were on a warning last night, ref calls pen advantage and Leinster score. It should have been a card.

Papaili should have got a YC for his lunge on VDF.

The Connacht try in 2nd half should never have stood IMO, At very least it should have been looked at.

JGP should have got red. His last motion was to move forward. If he had continued to step backwards then fine, but he didn't. Think Cipriani in Thomond about 4 or 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

I must agree regarding the audio levels on BT. Appalling and amateurish. Also the overhyping of everything is painful trash.

Cracking game of Rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

hLast week they had about 5 offences during an advantage, it was crazy. I agree on Papali’i, why is he even jumping? VdF was hardly going to kick it.

TMOs picking and choosing when to get involved (as that’s what it looks like is infuriating), the Connacht try and Sexton’s high tackle are just two examples from the same game.

JGP’s yellow was just nonsense. “Accepting the tackle” is up there with the “medium force” nonsense from a few seasons back. None of them spotted the repeated no arm tackles from Connacht either.

Advertisement