Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2022 - Round 3: Australia

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

All the money thrown at Aston Martin has not benefitted them.

Force India had far lower budgets but were much more efficient with use of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

That was a grand race. I think there’s some with unrealistic expectations of headline incidents/drama towards the front, especially after last season. Probably the way sports in general are heading when you look at the popularity of highlights packages.

Aye, not saying it's one for the ages or anything but it was a decent race on what's still a tight track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Not sure that was really worth getting up for. An okay race, pretty standard for Melbourne really but a comedown from the previous races and the track changes didn’t do as much as anticipated, maybe they needed that fourth DRS zone after all.

Really disappointing that Sainz messed up on lap 1 and Alonso got screwed by the timing of the safety car, I’d expected them to provide most of the intrigue as they moved up the field.

Also disappointing to see Verstappen retire of course, it didn’t have much impact on the race as he was kind of in no man’s land anyway, but it’s already starting to look like Leclerc’s championship to lose with the lead he’s got. There are many races to go of course and I’ll never underestimate Ferrari’s ability to screw up under Binotto. Red Bull really need to definitively resolve their reliability issues if we’re to see a championship battle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I think they missed a trick by not stopping one or two laps earlier though, they could have got the point for the fastest lap if they got a full lap in on softs. Maybe they didn’t have a pit window until the very end though I’m not sure. Or they were just holding out for a VSC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Melbourne is such a rubbish event. Ever year it disappoints.

Normally only watch it because it is the first race of the season and I am excited for the season to be starting. But today was not worth getting up for. Pity the guy that has to put together a highlight reel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

I woke so I watched , it was a bit blah . Ferrari (Leclerc) was just able pull away at will.

Perez overtakes at the front but that was it really at that end. Kinda felt if Russell had let Perez past he would have come back at him towards the end , Perez never really pulled away form him and the Redbulld looked hard on their tires . Still an good out come for Ferrari , Great outcome for Leclerc and for Mercedes as a team pot luck podium (well timed pit)and 4th keeping constructors alive .

Not a good track really when Stroll in a terrible Aston was able to defend for so long against better cars . He was putting his car in all the right places bar against Bottas but if you can defend the Drs train when cars can follow that closely that's a problem with the track possibly .

Some drive from Albon really great point to get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

I think it is time to reassess the impact of the 5 second penalties that get applied at the end of the race.

Stroll really held up a train there and it would have been very different if they applied the 5 second penalty during the race i.e. after 2 laps of receiving the penalty you must let the cars through that are within 5 seconds at the end of that lap (and it must be done by the end of the next lap) The 5 secs being applied post-race impacts the actual on-track racing far too much.

BTW get stroll off the bloody grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

What an absolute and utter borefest of a race.

Moving very swiftly along.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Not the best race, but Perez's move on Russell shows just how well the cars are able to follow each other, especially through medium and high speed corners. The 'dirty air' impact has been significantly reduced.

Melbourne was never a great track, but it gives some promise for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean it was a race that happened. Red bull need to work out what’s going wrong and they said they wouldn’t know until they got the car back to England this week to see. That sounds like a team who have no clue what’s wrong which would be worrying. My brother was at the race and he said the Ferrari looked and sounded the best car, and LeClerc has got that red f1 car humming and it’s great to see.

nice to see mclaren up the grid as George Russell got a podium for actually racing instead of that farce in Belgium.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

George Russell is second in the Championship.

I know there have been circumstances with the Red Bull and that he's 30-odd points behind LeClerc, but it just shows the benefits of being consistent and in a reliable car, even if it's off the pace of the Ferrari and Red Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Even if they knew exactly what the problem was they weren't going to say it to the press. The fact that they were working on the car on the grid before the formation lap means the knew something wasn't quite right. It seemed like a fuel related issue but who knows. Perez didn't have any problems so they really should be getting it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Also seemed to be bypassing sensors early in the race.

Leclerc will likely be out of sight by the time Mercedes and RB fix their respective issues, unless he gets taken out by Stroll or gets shafted some other way. The car is flying with him at the wheel and he doesn't seem as prone to making the silly mistakes he sometimes made last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's nice to have a likeable character at the top of the standings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

A perfect example what happens when you transform a team with low budget, functioning management structure to high budget, micro managed. Also how did they manage to loose bwt as sponsor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well I am glad I was not up at 6am for that borefest. A very dull race. Delighted for Leckerc do. Red Bull still got a lot to sort out. Delighted fir Willuans getting there first point if tge-season. Hope there is more to come.

Hamilton back to being a whinny baby as usual. He had 8 great years. It was never going to last forever. Get over it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I've said it before, put Lewis in a Mercedes-Benz safety car, Sebastian Vettel in an Aston-Martin safety car, 5 laps around Silverstone and lets see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

My understanding is that the relationship with BWT was with Szafnauer and when he moved to Alpine he brought them with him as title sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 John M00re

Such a great race for Leclerc, he's showing the success it's not only due to his Ferrari.

In the fight between Red Bull and Mercedes I'm losing hope on Hamilton but he's still winning in the driver standings over Verstappen...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement