Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sent home by employer with Flu symptoms

Options
  • 23-03-2022 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Asking for advice for someone that was told to go home from work because they had flu like symptoms, however he took an antigen test before going to work which was negative.

Is he entitled to be paid in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It depends on the employer's sick leave policy.

There would be no entitlement to Covid pay if that's what you're asking.

The fact that he was sent home is irrelevant as the employer can't have people with a contagious illness in the vicinity of others and potentially infecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Augme

If he has regular flu he should still not he going in to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If you don’t get paid for sick days that’s easier said than done

Ain't that the truth???? Hence, at the beginning of pandemic loads of workers in meat processing plants were living together/ travelling together / working together though they knew they were symptomatic....... so, you'd ask why didn't they stay off & isolate???...... it all came down to the €€€€..... no work= no pay. The government said they were 100% going to address this with mandatory sick pay but....it NEVER got off the ground/ got any traction

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mandatory sick pay I’m for.

im also for, and most companies I’ve worked for had it.. a fitness for duty policy.. sick pay or not.

no person, especially in covid times should be attempting to enter their working environment with symptoms of a viral illness…

They have a money issue ? I empathise but a health issue potentially faced by colleagues, and their families.. some of whom may have underlying conditions, asthma etc….

you are not fit for duty, you don’t come to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He needs to get a doctor's cert: either saying he is fit for work, or signing him off for sickness benefit.

Employer did the right thing in sending them home. No one should be going to work with symptoms of a viral illness.

Antigen tests aren't 100% reliable and sometimes it takes a few days before they pick up a postive result.

Whether they are entitled to sick pay or not, will be down to their employer's sick pay policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

You are asking if he is entitled to be paid.

its not what is morally right, its all about the contract with his employer. And strangers on the internet cannot tell you what it says.

i think the government should be looking at ways to make sick pay schemes mandatory. doesn't help your friend in this case.

i would also say this, i think its selfish to go to work when having flu like symptoms. Doesn't matter if its influenza, covid etc. its still a communicable illness, and personal responsibility is not to infect others. I think a phone call to the employer describing symptoms is more practical than turning up sick to the workplace. if they dont get sick pay then neither does his co-workers!

Advertisement