Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Afterschool care after creche

• 22-03-2022 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Since most creches only keep children in afterschool care until the age of 12 I am wondering what other alternatives are available when both parents have to work full time?

Given that most secondary schools are almost closed for 3 months in the summer I am wondering what parents are doing who have no family to help out in Ireland?

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable to leave a 12 year old child on their own all day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

When I was 12 i was out in the fields most of the summer or rambling around here and there with friends. And I'd be home only for tea.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Back in the 70/80s it was the same where I grew up in a very small town.

People were looking out for each other and had an eye on the kids.

Nowadays it's a different story especially when you live in a city like Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whether you are comfortable with it or not im not even sure its legal!!

Most after schools i am familiar with only really keep them until 10, it doesnt really work past that age, so families either get a child minder or one person steps back from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Being illegal is not any sort of deterrence in this country. Laws are not enforced.

If you have enough of a brass neck in this country you can pretty much do whatever you please and the state will do nothing when push comes to shove.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FionnB

Didn't you know, we are all supposed to pretend that everyone's mammy is at home to look after them and they don't have to go out to work! I have only managed due to working from home and don't know what I would do otherwise. It annoys me so much that there is nothing in place for teenagers regarding after school or holidays. All I can suggest is that you look for a responsible student who would come to your house while you're at work. Perhaps you could arrange something with a few friends in the same situation. There are a few camps for younger teenagers too, but that will only do for a couple of the 12/13 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FionnB

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭suilegorma

Not there yet but it looks like people try to get teens into summer camps, they don't run all day but at least get them out for a few hours. You would need to be on public transport/cycle routes though and have kids that can get themselves around independently and be happy that they are at home for a few hours of the day. Maybe tag team holidays with partners, try to arrange swaps with other families that you each take a couple of weeks looking after each other's kids. If you're not local to you family can they go stay with family for a week or so or more? I really do wish there was some kind of summer scheme for teens to get them doing civic works for pocket money. Imagine how nice our public realms could be ! Consider steering your teens into something that could get them a summer job down the line, eg piano, gaa, life guarding, babysitting. If you or your partner can work from home at all, even part of the day that would be so helpful. If not, is there any possibility of pointing your career in that direction to cover the teen years? Is there any unpaid leave you can take eg parental leave for younger children in your family? A few different ways to approach it depending on your circumstances.

I guess you're not civil or public service, so the shorter working year scheme is not an option thats open to you?

Thats how I managed it once my daughter went to secondary. (my mother looked after her through the primary school years)

Most parents i know juggle between summer camps, using some annual leave (each) and then grandparents or family / friend favours.

But it's a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

I am a working mum and I had no choice but to take unpaid leave - cant wait till pension time. It is financially and emotionally tough - of course I want time with my kids but strangely enough I need to earn my salary to provide a living for us all. I found the ages between 9 - 13 very challenging - I used clubs , they hated most of them which added to the mother guilt! And most were not really ran with working parents in mind, with a late start and early finish with no wrap around service. My kids just want to be home and hang out with friends or chill.

A couple of summers I provided accommodation for older language students this helped off set the financial challenge. I also provided accommodation for student teachers during term time and a couple of times came to arrangement's for them to cover a couple of hours of childcare - this worked well and I am still in touch with most of them.

I would love to see some sort of scheme that supports parents with childcare in general with older kids - there is lots of policies but no practical provision. As previous posters have said - split your annual leave with other parent, two weeks each covers four weeks or can you take it as half days over eight weeks ? Not ideal but will get you over the hump.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Thanks everyone! Lots of food for thought.

I guess a combination of the suggestions could work.

Thankfully we still have two years of creche left but I feel for all parents who are in a similar situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement