Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant Prices

• 21-03-2022 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Wanted to know if anyone used "theirishgardener" or gardens4you for plants recently ? There seems to be a significant difference in prices for popular plants - in nurseries and on planting websites . The price for salvias range between 2.50 to 7.50 / pot and the pots are mostly 2 ltrs pot plants.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Be careful shopping online. I ordered a Camelia for my Mum before and all I got was a snip of one. It was a year ago and it hasn't grown since. The pictures online were deceiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I’ve had a few negative experiences with Gardens4u, I don’t know if that is across the board with other people.

caherhurely nursery was mentioned here a year or 2 ago and I checked their website. Irish owned, organic and all plants €5. They say their plants are very hardy in Irish weather due to the outdoor location of their nursery on some mountainside that I can’t remember.

I think they mainly deal in perennials. I bought a lot of stock off them last year, very pleased with them!

Where would you go wrong with hardy, Irish grown organic plants for a fiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭galaxy12

The thing is that with I have a fairly large list of small perennials and adding it all up suddenly becomes a large amount .Thanks for the info on caherhurely , I must check them .

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I had the same issue last year, I was doing the front drive. I sowed what I could from seed(took 2 years from seed to final position) but I would say I had 1/3 of the stock I needed. I bought the rest from Caherhurely but only to bring the stock to about 50% as I couldn’t afford such a lot of plants. So at the end of the season I split the larger perennials in half and replanted and will do the same this year. Saves a fortune but takes a little longer to get the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

I can add that Caherhurley are well worth buying from. Very pleased with my purchases from them

• Advertisement
Advertisement