Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you fight for Dublin like Ukrainians are for Kyiv?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wasn't there only a relatively tiny amount of people involved in the Easter rising, and weren't many against it? Just when people say "our forefathers did the same", they didn't really, a few blokes did, most people were just getting on with their lives. Not long before that people were out waving flags for Queen Vic when she visited. I don't think it's comparable to what's happening in Ukraine now where a country is surrounded and is going to be bulldozed into nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I would fight for Connaught before id fight for Dublin :), yeah as fit healthy male I would stay and fight. My great grandfather wasn't in jail in Athlone by the black and tans for me to be a cowardly b*****d and run off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Why not? Who else would it be?

It's not a definite but it's not hard to see a scenario developing in coming years where Britain, adrift from the rest of Europe and feeling threatened by its self-inflicted isolation, would take steps to secure her major strategic weakness, ie the independent state of Ireland on her western flank.

In that sense, we are in a very similar position to the UK as Ukraine is to Russia.

Not being excessively alarmist, because the chances are remote but an especially bloody-minded Britain governed by the worst extremists of its Brexit tendency and keen, as ever, to cosy up to the United States who could well be dominated by its Trumpian/Tea Party/America First paranoid element could be party to a rupture in the current Western Alliance that would see it vulnerable to what it considers to be a hostile Europe. And like the Russians who are not afraid about what Ukraine might do to Russia but are very fearful of what somebody else might do to Ukraine--and then to Russia--the British might try to reassert their control over their recalcitrant neighbour to prevent it "falling into enemy hands".

It's happened before, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I notice lots of people on boards have become fantasists with illusions of courage and grandeur since the war in Ukraine started. All these noble and terrible calls to arms resounding in their heads, wondering who would stand beside them in their own war, heroes, the whole thing makes me chuckle. Continue gents, continue.

I don't think we'd see much initial effective resistance. It would come down to the occupation of Ireland. Then, I'd expect most Irish people to step up.

I dunno what young people in Ireland do when they were young, but when I was young, we (guys my age) all dabbled with the Anarchists cookbook, making IEDs and experimenting. With the internet, the knowledge is there for anyone to make such devices, and yeah, I'd see many people getting involved in a resistance.

For myself, I'd be useless as any kind of frontline fighter. Oh, I've played with firearms abroad, but I know I'm pretty useless with them. Nope. It would be the terrorist/guerrilla fighter angle for me. Traps, IEDs and the like.

I don't think it's practical/realistic to see Irish people fighting the same as Ukrainians. The geography is completely different, both rural and urban. Ireland is just too open, and lacks any real obstacles to an invading force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Interesting comments here and it seems to reflect a sense of a lack of national pride.

IMO: I really don't know but that alone says a lot, What is stopping me from coming out and saying " I will defend Ireland, my home and the freedoms that we have ".

Not entirely sure, the logical side might say that we are under equipped / under prepared but that alone should not be a reason to "give up". Or maybe its just a softness that exists within the country, the "ah sure it'l be grand" and "All problems can be solved with dialogue" view.

I wonder should National Service be far more encouraged, it might change the mindset somewhat and actually give us a reasonable defense capacity....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I like the way you prioritise yourself in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

What exactly would you be fighting to protect?

the scum and the filth and the dole heads won’t fight and will flee like cowards

meaning as usual working class men will fight and die leading eventually to just more scum and filth and dole heads in the country when war is over.

if invaded we should protect our loved ones, then if we must fight settle some of our own scores first. We cannot take the chance of losing thousands of hard working decent men before we cleanse at least triple of that number from the dregs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i wouldnt fight for dublin but in the even of a Ukraine happening here but yes i would fight for the country

i must say the attitude of so many of the Ukrainian people in wanting to fight for their country rather than flee is inspiring.

i ve often questioned why other refugee groups consist of so many adult males who choose to flee rather than stay and fight for their country's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It was only Dubs who were out waving their butchers apron flags when the old doll came to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I asked this in a different thread on a similar subject, perhaps you can answer: exactly what am I fighting for? "Dublin" is a vague answer at best.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Depending on who it was, I'd be half tempted to help them. Why would I fight to protect FF and FG being in power?

I'm sure you do. I suppose you see it as selfish or self important, but it makes sense in the context of the question. I wouldn't fight if I could get away with my family and have us safe. I would be the one responsible for getting them there.

So unusual for you to try and dishonestly frame something in a negative manner in order to paint someone in a bad light.

It's tiresome at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Basically even if this person's family members where all safe and out of the battle zone, he would be scared to fight for his homeland.

They're just a scaredycat.

Much respect to the Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Really?

It depends on which political party is in government

Interesting comments here and it seems to reflect a sense of a lack of national pride.

I think that depends on what you consider national pride to represent. I'd say that many Irish people feel pride over what Ireland has accomplished... but you have to bear in mind that nationalism has been discouraged for a rather long time now. Look at countries like Ukraine, and you'll see nationalism as being as a hefty place in their culture. Not so much here, except at a superficial level.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

You wouldn't be fighting for independence or anything valiant. You'd be cannon fodder for the FG/FF boyos and their cronies in government and in multinational corporations who are currently living in mansions while most in my generation can't afford a place to live.

I'm glad to see lots of silly aul lads still have these daft notions tho, because you'll be all that's left soon, all the young folks are leaving again as there's no viable future here unless you want to be a slave to a tech company.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

For Dublin? I don't know.

For Ireland? Yes.

You forget to mention RTE. But apart from that yep the usual sh1te

Was it not the same when she visited Cork? Many of those executed after the Easter rising were from Dublin too, but yes get your anti-Dublin bias out there why don't ya begorrah.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why would any of them invade Ireland. It's just a far-fetched hypothetical anyway.

The Dubs are the invading occupying power in Dublin. Any force that evicted the Dubs from this island would be seen as liberators!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PipingProblems

I'd like to think I'd fight for Ireland, but since I can't even get out of bed in the morning without grumbling, I'm not so sure.

Though crudely put you have. Would expect an occupying force could subdue Dublin with trays of harp, free batch loaf and 20 John Player blue cartons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No , it's common knowledge that around a million or so rebels we're fighting in the GPO alone , that figure is based on the amount of people who claim to have a relative fighting.

My own grandfather claimed to have in the 1916 rising , even making a half arsed attempt to claim a pension .

The only problem was that he was born in 1912.

Ha. I wouldn't fight for my homeland. That is true.

I would fight until my dying breath for my family and the people I love though. Not a country.

I don't love my homeland more than I love life with my family.

Again, this is all very hypothetical and very easy to announce one way or another. Under specific circumstances, sure it might be possible but in the one outlined in the op, no, if I could find a place where we could be confident of our prolonged safety, I wouldn't fight for Ireland.

But yeah, if by prioritising my family makes me a scaredycat, then I'd gladly be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mynydd2

No

• Advertisement

Harp? In Belfast maybe. Rockshore or Coors Light is probably more the common man's beer in Dublin these days.

Advertisement