Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picard 2x02 - 'Penance' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

Before getting the Defiant the Terran Empire were already ahead of the United Earth IIRC. In in a Mirror Darkly they already had shields, were faster, and there were more NX class ships in service.

Technological development does tend to accelerate during large extended conflicts, as long as you don't nuke yourself back to the stone age.

Come on, the whole thing hinges on us being supposed to care about a borg? And they're going to go back to 2024? Well, I guess Star Trek has at least caught up with the fish out of water story. They can finally talk to computers and phones in 2024 to find out where the whale is located. Maybe let kirk know while they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought the strike against Picard showed a contempt of the human species that was always prevalent in Q

Anyone else get Troi vibes with the Orla character?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

Regarding Orla Brady, something comes to mind.

Do you think Q is doing all of this because Picard shot down Laris’ advances? Q did imply that Picard knew what he had done. I was assuming Picard’s crime was blowing up the Borg in Episode 1, but maybe Q is actually somehow dying and while somehow still caring for Picard he is pissed with him for turning down a last chance at happiness. “Time can be so cruel” said Q with a twinge of sadness, knowing maybe that time was up for both of them.

And so, in typical Q style, he throws Picard into the hell universe for one final lesson about what is really important. (Q is a romantic afterall…..just ask Janeway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

You could nit-pick but another really good episode imho.

What is it that Q thinks Picard is guilty of? Could it be something to do with Picard's abusive father?

• Advertisement

Leaving his mother, in an abusive house, to travel the stars?

The one negative I have. I now have my hopes up but still have zero confidence in the writing staff

• Registered Users Posts: 24,353 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just watched episode 2. Have to say, really enjoyed it. It was one kick ass episode.

Of course we all know they will time jump but will the magistrate and his goons travel with them.

I just can't wait to see how they fit all those whales into that cargo hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It took me a few seconds but I got there 🤣

My kids watched it and enjoyed it but have no idea of the history.. I felt sorry for them momentarily but it soon passed 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Crikey, another strong episode. Two for two and you'd almost start getting excited for the next episode. What's more, the Confederation was a better take on the Supremacist society than the latter-day Terrans have been. No ludicrous camp, or nonsense about eye sensitivity - just a nastier universe with none of the cartoon hyperbole. The DS9 nods were cool.

Glad Picard mentioned Q being off though, cos, yeah. The slap was quite shocking, the anger and contempt palpable. As Jean Luc speculates, maybe Q is ill.

I await the Borg Queen inevitably fúcking everything up and trying to assimilate the ship / crew. Of course, her stasis field is deactivated, and seems to be making eyes at Jurati. That'll end well no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Yeah I instantly felt that the Confederation was a much better take on the 'Terran Empire' than the Mirror Universe from Disco. The fact that the Confederation doesn't have the over the top melodrama of the Mirror Universe actually makes it a more horrifying setting. The nonchalant references to their atrocities and oppression of other races makes the Confeds seem like greater villains. I particularly liked the rewording of Picard's monologue to work as a propaganda video.

Far more effective Evil Empire too. The Terran Empire never managed to destroy The Alliance before it got a chance to become a thing, and the Romulans AND *The Borg*?! They killed the whole Collective, which suggests that they steamrolled over the Delta Quadrant in that reality.

Makes you wonder if The Dominion are sort of the only “Good Guys” left as the only power that can stop Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

All I could think was as all the characters were realizing the situation they are now in, are any of them thinking 'what the hell am I doing here, I'd rather just be at home in bed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was thinking about the Dominion alright while-watching it but maybe in this reality there is no Wormhole so maybe the Confederation have never came across the Dominion.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well its the same reality, just a different outcome because of whatever was changed in 2024.

The wormhole will still be there no doubt, but it was discovered by accident (or guidance from the prophets) initially so not surprising they haven't found it.

There is a military report on President 7s news feed that says "Dominion Alliance War: Field officer General Myles O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe cool. Must keep on eye put for that while watching it again.

I wonder where the Confederation fits into the Universe. Does it come after the fall of the Terran empire for instance or is it just in this reality Q has created that is the Path not taken.?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Terran empire is the mirror universe. This is the prime universe warped by whatever Q done so not related other than both being evil.

The news feed also mentioned Tashha Yard fighting against Andoria and Tuvok leading the Vulcan forces.

• Advertisement

I know we'll not get to stay long in this hell-scape Earth, which is a damn pity since building the show around that alone might have been good. However, could you imagine what it could be like if Picard was confronted with an older General Tasha Yar, still alive, but also slaughtering people in the name of Earth? And then in that moment he says heartbroken, "We have to go back....we must stop all of...this...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Ha, reminds me of the DS9 mirror episode "We may not have enough weapons or troops or ships but we have plenty of captains." General positions for everyone! Except Kim. He stays an Ensign.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Much more enjoyable this season but, when they woke up in the alternate timeline (not knowing where they are), I'd have thought at least someone would assume they're in yet-another-broken-Holodeck and gone, "Computer - end program".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed that a lot. As others have said, full of holes but what the hey. And a little bit heavy-handed with the previous Trek references (That's the first time I remember hearing Sisko being mentioned but I may be wrong. I don't obsess over details unless they annoy me).

When I heard Alison Pill was joining the cast I was happy. I remember her in Newsroom and minor roles elsewhere and knew she had great comic-timing and energy. But then she was Mopey McMopeface in Season 1. Was good to see her with a bit of spunk (Keep it clean, folks 😀).

• Liked the new look of the Borg Queen (And her calling him Locutus did put a smile on my face)
    • "Oh Jean-Luc, so Yesterday's Enterprise"
    • Liked Picard squaring up to the security guard without going all MU and yelling "Off with her head". And, was it me or did she look familiar (The actor as opposed to the character)
    • Liked how they all regrouped quite quickly. Sure, it may have been a bit implausible but I like how that's now done and dusted.
    • John DeLancie great as always (Did like the slap and Picard's shock and observation that there is something a bit "Off" with Q.
    • Don't know or care how something in 2024 lead to Seven being president, Raffi here, Rios there, whatever. If you go down that path then EVERYTHING crumbles.

• So yeah, very enjoyable first two episodes. Usually I watch Discovery and then Picard to perk me up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Well that was great. Loved it. Proper Trek

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TryingNot2Lie

Another stong episode? Really?

I thought it was pathetic. After a relly good opening episode, that was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I really want to like this show. I really do.

But to be honest, I can't really see anything of the character(s) we are supposed to know. Picard is unrecognisable, in terms of personality. He is just a completely different character, and the universe he now operates in is equally unrecognisable. I just wish it were more...fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TryingNot2Lie

First episode of Season 2 was brilliant. And then it took them a grand total of one episode to pee all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So where is all the aftermath of the eugenics wars, near dark ages etc etc

They might even run into Benjamin "Bell Riots" Sisko

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Past_Tense_(Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think at this stage it's fair to say Trek's WW3 timeline is just smoke

Advertisement