Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Struggling with a difficult co-worker

Options
  • 08-03-2022 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

The issue has been discussed to a great extent. Thanks for your inputs.

Post edited by Nody on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Whats to navigate, just don't assign yourself anything on his little spreadsheet.

Has anybody actually spoken to you or instructed you to cover for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

No, no one. The manager didn't approach me either which is why I think he shouldn't have this sense of entitlement that everyone will automatically cover for him. Normally managers do tend to approach you for coverage.

He just keeps pestering, that's the issue and knowing him, he won't let it go I'm pretty sure. Of course, I'm not going to fill in the spreadsheet, but as I said, he will keep harassing because he won't take no for an answer (he did the same to someone else last year and kept pestering them every single day for 2 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I can’t see anything wrong with your colleague’s behaviour and would probably be doing the same thing.

Sounds like there is a greater issue with ineffective management in your workplace.

Hi Dave, can you leave me off these mails please? I've already explained that I won't be able to provide cover.

Regards,

TheGlossy

After that, just ignore them if he keeps sending.

I do understand he needs coverage for his tasks, no issues with that. However my two main issues:

• He already has 4 people who agreed to cover for him. Isn't this enough for 3 days?
    • Why is he chasing me if I already told him I don't have capacity? It's simply not appropriate to send me such email upon my return after 3 weeks of leave knowing his leave was two weeks away. Empathy in the workplace goes a long way. I'd understand if no one had volunteered to help him, but considering he already has 4 other people who agreed, it's got more than plenty given the workload listed on his spreadsheet. I
    Post edited by TheGlossy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If by pestering you mean the passive aggressive emails where he doesn't actually ask you directly, then I personally wouldn't care a toss about them. I prefer not to encourage such behaviours and will happily ignore such things.

Confrontation is an option of course, reply telling him to stop spamming you, if you are comfortable standing your ground then do that. Remember though to not play his game, if he is trying to imply something then you just be very direct.

It does sound as if the manager is the problem here though, why are they sitting silent about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I am sorry but somehow I sense some of that entitlement you are talking about is rather coming from your side.

Perhaps he is just busy and do not have time to think about your personal problems or feelings and since mass email is mass email you will be getting them every time he sends one out.

I think you are simply overthinking it. Stop "expecting" things if they irritate you and focus on something else.

Apologies, but where did I say I wanted to discuss my problems? I don't think that's what I meant at all. I don't want to discuss my problems with him or anyone for that matter.

I've dealt with many former colleagues who came back from compassionate leave and trust me, there was no way we would have behaved like this with them. There is a management issue, that's for definite, but that is a whole different discussion.

As I specified, 4 people have already volunteered to help him out which is more than enough for 3 days. I checked the spreadsheet and he's definitely got a lot less work than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Ignore the repeated emails. It sounds like you already gave valid reasons on a previous mail why you don't have availability to cover him this time. I doubt anyone needs four people or more to cover for just three days off, I frequently cover for colleagues on my own for a full week or more. I'm sure many folks do the same.

If he persists with this, forward to your manager with an explanation and let him/her deal with it.

Sorry for your loss OP. Mind yourself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sorry for your loss firstly.

Is it possible that this person may have picked up some of your tasks while you were away and is hinting that he wants you to return the favour?

• Advertisement

Thank you.

No, or otherwise I would have returned the favour in a heartbeat. We've been working together for two years and this person has never covered for me once, yet I've covered for them repeatedly (and willingly). When I was away for three weeks, a former colleague covered the entirety of my workload for me.

This particular guy asking for coverage me volunteered worked on a project of mine last year, messed up entirely and when was asked to rectify, he dropped me 24h before the deadline saying: "I don't have time for this, I'm too busy, sorry", leaving me high and dry.

So yeah, that's where I get the sense of entitlement from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why would he be fully aware of your situation? GDPR means that unless he's your manager, all he is entitled to know is that you were out until X-date.

If he approaches you, just tell him to speak to your manager.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah, that sounds tricky. Could you speak to HR perhaps?

My manager told the team which is OK I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

This is the solution.

Your manager is there to step in if they want you to cover something specific from the list.

Though this sounds like its more about lack of empathy than workloads.

I got back and was placed on a high priority project on my own right away on top of the projects that are still ongoing and some of my former manager's work. He, on the other hand, has just to regular day to day from what I've seen on his list. For me, the workload I have is just a lot at the moment and I'm battling with my concentration to get all this work done properly. I can't take on anything else, it would do them a disservice too. It's about both really.

I doubt he needs 4 people to cover for him. Generally, one person is sufficient. He simply doesn't know how to manage the coverage he's getting. He's assigning one person per task instead of having one person cover the entire workload or half.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sounds like a very bad place to work being honest - just on the way the organisation has dealt with your bereavement.

Yep. That's another story altogether, but I wholeheartedly agree.

I used to be the first person to offer help whenever someone requested assistance. It's been evidence in my performance review where it was pointed out by several stakeholders and managers. I would always be ready to absorb other people's work even if it meant doing a lot of overtime. It's the first time ever I'm doing some push back. I don't feel good about it, but I have to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

No disrespect OP, but are you sure you should be back in work? If you are struggling with your workload and concentration then I doubt your colleague is the biggest problem here.

You can’t expect people to be empathetic btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Hi Op, very sorry for your loss firstly it's not an experience i am looking forward too,

you were away for three weeks so perhaps this chap has been up to his eyes himself, is he your manager ? has he been directed to do this by a manager ? Basically i think you need to put down your workload on paper, and speak to your line manager and explain you can't get blood from a stone with proof of your current duties.

I would be careful how you word it though, as your initial posts do whiff a bit of entitlement so don't say it's because of him ect just say your workload is at full capacity, if that doesn't work perhaps you need to find a more suitable position that you can manage. Good luck

Thank you.

No, he has not. I have a schedule of all the projects across the year for our team. It was mostly me and someone else who got the big chunk. The managers are aware of my current workload since they're the ones assigning projects and know full-well which projects we're working on. I don't think it's a case where they don't know.

I sent the email yesterday and simply said I unfortunately do not have capacity to provide coverage at this time and offered to discuss with the manager if need be. It was met with silence. Of course, I wasn't going to express myself the way I did in this thread. I'm just writing my thoughts on here.

I don't think I should change jobs just because I've hit a wall this time due to a personal trauma. I've never had an issue with working 12 hours a day and always managed to absorb workload. I don't think me temporarily struggling mentally due to a death is cause for a job change because I "can't cope". Anyone who has ever experienced an immediate death knows it's a long process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Three weeks bereavement leave, you'd be hard pressed to find many places that would give that. Outside issues are not the employers problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

For what it's worth i think you've done the right thing, my managers lean on the ones that do all the work aswell(back handed compliment from them), and let the wfhomers do f all it is very annoying for me anyway, and the thing is they dont care what's going on in your life, the older i get i realize noone does. Best of luck anyway i hope it gets easier for you over time

I went on sick leave. It wasn't three weeks of bereavement leave. I only got three days of actual bereavement leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That's it. I was told the management relied a lot of me because I "deliver above expectations and have a strong knowledge of processes". While it is very flattering, it is unfair because the workload is not adequately distributed at all. I end up writing off about 40% of my salary with all the unpaid overtime I do. That's a different matter altogether, but there is a strong and very evident imbalance. There are people in my team who take 1h break in the morning and 1h in the afternoon (not including lunch) when I work overtime. It says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's not really about the leave. The OP's organisation actively added to their workload while they were away and doesn't seem to have provided any/much support on their return. Maybe I am being harsh but on the facts presented as they are, I wouldn't be too eager to hang around and/or go over and above to help the employer as an employee.

Outside issues not being the employers problem might be true in the black and white world of textbooks but these outside issues can effect the employee and good employers have ways of dealing with this or helping their employees through difficult times. Preloading them up with work while they are away (particularily on a close bereavement) isn't a good look.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement