Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Justified: City Primeval - FX - US Pace - (***Spoilers***)

• 25-02-2022 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭

Ok this could be huge news and a good reason to start the thread now.

Quentin Tarantino In Early Talks To Direct 

Deadline hears that Quentin Tarantino is in early talks to direct one or two episodes of Justified: City Primeval, the FX limited series that reunites Timothy Olyphant with his six-gun as U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens. No one was commenting.

While most felt like Tarantino’s next turn behind the camera would be his final feature film, there is a lot of symmetry here. Tarantino and Olyphant worked together on the director’s most recent film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. There also is the filmmaker’s devotion to Elmore Leonard, who created the Givens character. Tarantino adapted the Leonard novel Rum Punch into Jackie Brown. He optioned several Leonard titles during his career and has talked about possibly directing one of his Westerns, Forty Lashes Less One. The limited series is using as source material another Leonard title, the 1980 novel City Primeval: High Noon in Detroit, subbing the Givens character in for the original protagonist.......

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He's gonna drag the arse outta that whole "10 movies and I'm done" promise, isn't he?

TBH I'm more interested in what this show will be, cos half of what worked with Justified was that Kentucky flavour - and Raylan Givens' resting bitterness and anger having to live & work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm remaining in a state of cynicism this can work in such a different location..., but excitement for a return to this world.

Just hope they don't forget Given is supposed to be an àsshole, not a hero. But part of his journey was his inability to escape his past in Harlan County.

Full trailer is out; I'll need to watch an episode or two cos ... I'm not immediately sold. something seems "off" but can't put my finger on it.

The colour is off for me they have taken away the claustrophobic hot warm colouring of Kentucky and replaced with that greenish hue of a City that makes just feel off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭nachouser

Not gonna watch any trailers, but the first episode of Justified is a really great re-watch. It's a pity the first season was so episodic. I've found it a hard sell to convince a few people to stick with it for the goodies down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yeah the colour grading is quite extreme; Justified's Kentucky was warm coded but never overcranked either with its visuals. This sequel seems to be really aiming for a more affected exaggerated, colder palette.

Oh and I also presume that rumour about Tarantino was nonsense and he's not directing any of it.

No I don’t think he is involved in this now.

However he has over the last weeks been talking about working and directing on TV once he directs his final 10th movie next year.

He said he has been working on an 8 part series based on his original idea.

He does like the sound of his own voice.

• Advertisement

Probably 'cos he sees the slush funds available from streaming services who'll jump at his (presumed) millions of drafts and scripts he never worked into something feature-length. Imagine the money Netflix might pay to have "Quentin Tarantino" make a show for them? If they paid ~$500 million for two Knive's Out sequels ... imagine the money for QT?

Must have a Google and see if / when this might appear on Disney+. IIRC Justified itself is there anyway.

Starts tonight in the States with a double episode.

Any word if it's coming to here via Disney+ & their FX link?

All eight episodes will be available to stream at once on Disney Plus from Wednesday 6th September 2023

Decent enough start however it just doesn't have the magic of the original series.

Olyphant's real life daughter plays his on screen daughter in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Huge fan of the series. First episode was ok. Second was a lot better. Assume a lot is going to hinge on the fact that he has his daughter in tow. Only ever seen Holbrook in Narcos which I thought was fantastic and hes coming across fairly ruthless. Obvious showdown surely after daughter is captured or such. Don't imagine they'd go down a really dark route. Will keep watching as I love the character but yeah its defo missing the original magic.

Still will make it probably better than most rubbish on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

As someone who could never get in to Justified (ref episodic comment below) i am glad to hear that there is an overall story arc eventually.

Anyone reckon it is possible to watch the new series without having seen the previous ones?

ep 2

why would they let her throw evidence away? if they are surveilling her why wouldn't they take pictures?

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Decent enough. Villain a bit ott

• Advertisement

About to watch ep 3 I like it

6/10

Watchable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, you don't need to watch any of the original set. But - if you have access to season two onwards of Justified, I would strongly recommend it. Just forget the first few ever happened and enjoy the rest.

nobody is that stupid.

the daughter is so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

the writing is so sloppy, the criminal so dumb, and the cops so slow. also makes no sense why they wouldnt warn the potential victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Managed to get through episode 3 after being unimpressed with the first two episodes. Don't think I'll bother with the rest.

Only two episodes left I've made it this far so I'll stick with however it really is just poor and a pale imitation of the original series,

It's not even a half decent cop series in it's own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Have watched the 7 episodes but it really is utter shite.I don't think it has any redeeming qualities.

Such poor quality and an embarrassment to the original show.

If this wasn't Justified, I'd have given up after 2 episodes,I'm just watching it for the sake of it .

Post edited by yabadabado on

OK finished it and it's terrible really terrible and the cameos in the last ten minutes felt so shoehorned in to set up another season.

Which I'll probably will watch

• Advertisement

Oh no; I'm waiting for it to appear on Disney+ but not exactly looking forward to it either

Advertisement