If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.
Hello all! This is just a quick reminder to ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere.

Insurance dilemma. 2018 to 2015.

  • 17-02-2022 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25 WEZANGO

    Hi everyone! I have a dilemma that is hard to solve. I have full irish license for 2 years and it's gonna be 3 in April. Same amount of no claims bonus. My current insurance policy ends in April as well. Right now I have a 2018 1.4 engine car which I wanna change with a 2.1 engine 2015 car. My current insurer won't do a 2015 car with my current license and no claim bonus amount. What would be the correct way in this situation? If I wait for my policy to end in April, that 2015 car will probably be gone by that time. If I get that 2015 car, I'd have to cancel my current policy just 1 month prior to additional year of no claim bonus. Is it legal to sell that 2018 car and keep insurance going for another month while getting new insurance policy for the 2015 car through other insurance company?

    Also when I called my current insurer, they thought that I already bought that car and asked for proof of purchase in order to proceed, but when I told that I am just planing to buy it, they said they can't insure it. Is there some rule where they have to insure the car if I already bought it?

    Thanks in advance for you answers. Hope it's not a very mixed up explanation.


  • Registered Users Posts: 75,085 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

    What is the issue with the 2015 car, is it because of the power of the engine or has it been wrote off and they don't want to cover it? Some insurers may limit cover to 2 litres for those under 25, have seen this before.

  • Registered Users Posts: 50,313 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26

    You might get a better answer in the dedicated boards insurance forum here:

  • Registered Users Posts: 25 WEZANGO

    As far as I understand it's because of the premium brand (Mercedes) and year. It's very easy to insure a 2022 Audi Q7, but not a 2015 C-Class 🤯 They also said that they might be able to insure it after I have a license for at least 3 years, but I checked on their website with assumption that I have a 3 year old license and they wouldn't give me a quote. My current car is 2018 A4, which is more expensive than the 2015 C-Class.

  • Registered Users Posts: 25 WEZANGO

    Thank you. It's the second time I post it in wrong forum.

  • Registered Users Posts: 75,085 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

    Doubt there's anything you can do as it will be company policy. Switching to another insurer before policy ends will mess around with your no claims. When you have 5 years and are over 25 doors open as regards what cars they will quote, one of the few benefits of getting older.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,991 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm

    I’ve never heard of a limitation on a 7 year old car.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭ kirving

    What C-Class is it? A C63, C350e, C250, C180 are all quite different prospects.

    Did they actually say no problem to a 3.0L Q7? In any case, a C250 is faster to 100km/h and tbh is more likely to be crashed by a young lad than someone carrying kids in a Q7.

    You're much better to call a broker as opposed to the website. The website will have fairly ham fisted rules which exclude anything out of the ordinary. My partner got insured on my E300 (2.1L) right after getting her Irish license after a quick call to the broker and an explanation of her driving experience. They told me it was because the car was Group 41 insurance, and they only did up to 40 online.

  • Registered Users Posts: 25 WEZANGO

    Thank you, that gives me some hope. It is a C220d. My main question is actually if I have to notify insurance company when I trade my Audi or could I just wait till my policy ends after trading the Audi and get a new policy for Mercedes after that. In the meantime of course I wouldn't drive that new Mercedes until I get a new policy.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭ kirving

    Your problem there is that you A) can't necessarily use your 2yr NCB on both cars at once if you buy the Merc now, leaving it uninsured for a month which could be dangerous, and B) your 3yr NCB won't be available for another month anyway.

    Can you put a deposit on the Merc now with the dealer? If not, wait till your have thr 3yr NCB and then think about changing.

    Whatever you do, do not be wedded to a particular car. They're high volume commodities, and the sooner you take your heart out of the equation the better. Never take any financial or insurance risk for a particular car.

    It took my seeing over 1000 cars being sold at auction in just a few hours to realise that another one will always come along in a few day or weeks that will be a better deal.