Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendation for a food dehydrator

• 15-02-2022 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering has any one any great experience of food dehydrators.

Thinking to pick one up at the €250 mark.

Seems to be lots of info if you're the survivalist prepper type, but not much if you're just fond of your stomach.

Ideally I'd be looking for something quiet that will last years. Seems to be a big variation in quality and material out there.

I'd be using it to dehydrate garden produce and some meats.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Did you get a dehydrator?

I was going to post the same question.

I tried air drying last year and got quite a lot of mould. Irish summers, even baking hot ones are not totally free of moisture.

SK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

No. Never got one in the end. Ireland is just a bit too humid for air drying I think.

Kind of went off the idea eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i know a chap that has one, works very well for him, he does a lot of long distant walking, so needs his veg dehydrated, must ask him about his unit....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thanks!

I was wondering if it would be cost effective, probably not.

I cooked and froze last years tomatoes, they filled my freezer though and despite being a major component in every frozen "meal", I ran out several months back.

At around a euro for a half dozen though, it pains me to buy stuff that I gave away last year.

As for the courgettes, I couldn't give those away :-(

Thanks for the input anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement