Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Searching for adopted sister born between 1960-1965 Dublin

• 12-02-2022 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are currently in the process of searching for our adopted sister. whilst we are still trying to put the pieces together, our sister was born in Dublin between 1960-1965 and was adopted soon after. Birth surname/Mothers maiden name Murphy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 billo516

Murphy between 60 and 65 ..

That really narrows it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Pistachio19

Would you consider doing an ancestry dna test or similar. Chances are if your sister is looking for her family she may have done one. Otherwise register your details with the National Adoption Contact Preference Register giving as much detail as possible - your mothers maiden name, date of birth, address at time of birth for example. If your sister has registered then you will be matched. I gather your mum has passed away if you cannot ask her the exact year of birth. Are there any aunts/uncles who would have known that your mother had a baby back then? Perhaps they could narrow it down to a specific year. With a name like Murphy it will be nigh on impossible to look up the births at the GRO so I wouldn't even bother with that route unless you can find out your sisters actual year/date of birth. You can also contact Tusla to trace but you would likely have a long wait.

If it was a thing that you could narrow down the date of birth, you could get her actual birth cert to confirm it, then go to the GRO to look through the adoption records for that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dreamer020

Thank you for your response, mum is still with us but unfortunately due to her illness she is unable to clarify specific dates or place of birth.

My sister in law is a genealogist and was unfortunately unable to find a match.

We have contacted the Adoption authority of Ireland and unfortunately there was nothing on file.

We have been in contact with Tulsa and have finally heard back and they have found a file!! We are in the process of sending documentation to secure this file.

We are one step closer to giving mum peace 💜

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Pistachio19

When you say your sister in law couldn't find a match - does that mean you or one of your siblings has taken a dna test?

I hope you get somewhere with Tusla soon. If you join the Adoption Rights Alliance facebook page you will get good advice and tips as to how to apply for relevant information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dreamer020

Yes, my brother has taken a dna test and unfortunately we have had no matches of yet.

We will be provided with our siblings original birth certificate under the freedom of information act which may help in our search.

We are now currently on a waiting list to be assigned a social worker to look into our case. Unfortunately this is a timely process and could take years. Due to mums illness our case will be prioritised but unfortunately there will be a long wait…..

Hopefully the birth cert will help us in our search.

• Advertisement
Advertisement