Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meta considers shutting down Facebook and Instagram in Europe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

They think they are so big they can decide what law they want to accept or not.

I don’t get how processing data in EU would cost more than closing the 2 services in EU. They are bluffing. They took a huge hit just because they lost members for the first time. Imagine if they lose EU customers…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Good riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Staleturnips

But, but if insta goes where will the poor influencers live?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is absolutely zero chance they would voluntarily cut off the European market. It is toys out of the pram stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

My cat will be extremely angry if she hears she cannot post pictures for her followers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

We wouldn't be so lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Opening the door for the great Bebo comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would be great if they did, some new transparent non profit making venture could take up the slack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Would be **** delightful. Such dangerous platforms thay have done and continue to do untold damage to people and society.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭French Toast

I'm 28 and 99% of my Facebook activity is on groups regarding my interests - motorsport and darts mainly. I never upload photos, statuses, etc.

If it goes, is the door open for a rebirth of topic-specific forums? Probably not, but an interesting thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I was intrigued by FB recently reporting user numbers have dropped for the 1st time ever , surely this is nonsense. No one I know uses it anymore.

I set up a temp account to trace a few people for research purposes recently, people I know but had not been in touch with for a few years. I closed my original account back in 2016.

Not a single person I knew on FB back then was still on it, those that were had no activity for years , essentially don't use it anymore.l

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Mark Zuckerberg is a boring nerd, who created (stole) a network full of boring people talking about their boring trivial lives!

If bookface dies, Zuckerberg's life will have even less meaning than it already does. So we should all hope for that I guess. 😋

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I don't think people are seeing the bigger picture.

Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, Messenger.

Their loss would be a big hit. I'm all for data protection, but I already have to click three popups on every website to agree to cookies, notifications etc etc. Not having access to the biggest online services in the world would hit many people and businesses hard.

So many small businesses do all their advertising, promotion, bookings and customer interaction through Facebook and instagram.

I don't know a single person who doesn't have whatsapp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭mcburns07

WhatsApp just checks your phonebook for contacts and allows you to message them. It wouldn't be difficult to replace it with another similar app.

They're all completely dispensable.

And what about Facebook, Instagram and Messenger, the other three things that aren't so easily replaced?

How are they dispensable to the millions of people who use them daily?

I get that this won't likely happen, but I think people are too quick to call things they don't use dispensable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Linkedin has moved so far from professionals to the point that it's practically a drop in replacement for Facebook.

Here's how to save your stuff https://www.facebook.com/help/212802592074644 so you can upload it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

im the same . only use it for the groups or seeing that some old school friend i havnt seen in 10 years hadd another kid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Biker.ie and backroad forums be flat out again then 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Any chance they could take Twitter with them as well? Out of all of them it’s the biggest cancer, a soapbox for imbeciles

Signal is an alternative messenger app, Facebook and Instagram would be no loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hope ta fuk they do close it up… this site is the nearest I get to social media … never had a Facebook or Twitter ac or any of that crap but have seen first hand for myself what it’s doin…. Dumbing humans down and fillin them with nonsense views and feelings about irrelevant bullshite

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Deleted my facebook years ago and never missed it in the slightest except for those few businesses who use their facebook page as their website, in which case, bad luck to them, I bought the thing off someone else.

Whatsapp is handy but I only use it to message my family and friends directly, so any other group chat would work just as well

Facebook deliberately, and in full knowledge of what they are doing, destroy the lives of millions of people, so they can go **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Facebook and Instagram gone?

Oh no...

Anyway!

Yeah, you're the second guy to suggest an alternative messenger app, of which there is a dozen, and completely ignore the other two less replaceable platforms that thousands of businesses depend on for advertising, sales, and customer service.

The edgelords are strong in this thread.

The likes of Instagram and Facebook are more damaging to society and mental health than any other legal thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

"And my dog, will be so, so angry"

Sultans of Ping

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He's probably not too bothered.

The fella could spend more today on coke and hookers than you or I will earn in our lifetimes, and he could do that everyday until he dies and still not run out of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭mcburns07

100s of millions of people drink Coca Cola daily as well, doesn't make it an important product.

The only aspect that could be considered essential about any of these services is they offer people the ability to message others, and as mentioned there's plenty of alternatives.

Advertisement