Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American bands/music artists who are huge there but not over here..

Options
  • 03-02-2022 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭

KISS: ok, I think most people have heard of them but i don't think I've ever met anyone who was a big fan. Theyre massive in the States, plus by extension Canada plus Latin America but I reckon if you ask your average Irish or British person to name one of their songs you'll draw a blank, maybe one or two like God Gave Rock N Roll To You (and that's a cover of an Argent song).

Phish. While not exactly mainstream they have a huge cult following Stateside. Beyond their appearance in an episode of the Simpsons I doubt very many people this side of the pond would have even heard of then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

motley crue

ratt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Kiss were/are dreadful. Style over substance.

Weezer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

A lot of those 80s American hair metal bands wouldn't have gotten much of a following over here, compared to trash metal bands.

One odd offshoot of hair metal would be Christian metal bands like Stryper. Definitely a largely Stateside thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Back in the mid to late 90s there were a ton of alt rock bands that were huge in the states but literally couldn't fill a pub in this part of the world .

Probably as Britpop had claimed a huge chunk of the market .

Ironically one of them was Bush who were English

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Grateful Dead

• Advertisement

The "Deadhead" mega fans are definitely an American thing. Occasionally meet people who have a few of their albums but not obsessives. Would be better appreciated than Phish, who are basically a Grateful Dead tribute act/ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Tears Are Falling

I Was Made For Loving You

Love Gun

Detroit Rock City

God Of Thunder

Psycho Circus

Strutter

Absolute belters of tunes. They had style AND substance. And if you ever have the pleasure of seeing them live and how they give every single performance 110%, you'll see why they have so many fans and keep them for so long.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The majority of the younger acts on the Country charts would fall in to that - people who can sell a million tickets on a US tour and would either be unheard of here or get some rural radio play and maybe a support slot at that annual Country thing in the Point.

Seeing US year in review lists for music now can be quite confusing as that stuff is so popular it's filling many of the overall sales/streams charts.

Ted Nugent would be another one, might be as much to do with his flag waving, America first hyperbole plus the fact that hes something of a cnunt as it does with his music.

I have heard a lot of their songs but not one of them has tempted me to delve deeper. Even the titles of their songs make me cringe! But hey, horses for courses and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Kiss is a good call. I'd also say Bruce Springsteen is another. Massive in the states but not so popular over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the boss has no problem filling big venues over this way.....

anyone that has ever met ted said he's one of the soundest people going! and that includes henry rollins who expected not to like him!

Wouldn't agree on Springsteen. Has regularly played big shows here and has a healthy following.

Seemingly the biggest selling/streaming album as per the Billboard Hot 200 in the US for 2021 was by someone called Morgan Wallen.

oddly enough Bush are huge in the states

bruce is limited to only selling out our largest stadiums in every city

Springsteen filled Croke Park for two nights the last time he played here in 2016. He's due to play there twice again this year, and Cork too.

In all fairness, with the size of Ireland in comparison to the US, it's not possible for any band to be as massive here as in the states. So some relativity needs to be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Weezer were pretty successful globally (and at fairly similar levels) in the 90's and 00's.

I agree totally on Kiss and was relieved to find out that they hadn't written that Argent song (And that it was a shoddy effort compared to the real deal).

Not a band/artist, so much as a genre...in most 90's/00's teen comedies/rom coms, eventually you get to the big party set piece. At this point, Alicia Silverstone/Mellissa Joan Hart/AN Other goes "OMG, it's my favourite band! It's the Slightly Overweight Guys with Overly-styled Facial Hair*". And some identikit ska-punk band would play some mediocre stuff while the crowd went wild. Was this an entire scene in US? Were the producers forcing this on us, or was this the high school genre of choice?

• May not be actual band name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Not sure Bruce belongs in this thread. Didn't he fill Croke park twice? And play to a fairly large crowd in Slane? (65,000 in 1985) He's also played numerous sell out gigs in the RDS, Thomand Park, Nowlan Park and several sell out gigs at the Point.

• Advertisement

fiona Apple

Born In The USA was a massive album over here, spawned several hit singles. He'd broken through a decade earlier with Born To Run but with BITUSA he went stratospheric. Definitely doesn't belong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

John Mayer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Dave Matthews Band

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Hootie & the Blowfish

Kenny G

Bob Seger

Santana

They might have had bits of success this side of the Atlantic but nothing like they have in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭AlanG

Hootie and the Blowfish and most of the old US college rock scene except REM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The likes of Ashanti never did well over here. The odd R&B / in da hood artist does well over here but not nearly to the same extent as in de States. Lots more demand for that kind of music over there and not just among black people

A lot of American 70s prog rock bands who subsequently evolved into more radio friendly AOR by the early 80s. Kansas, Chicago, REO Speedwagon etc.

• Advertisement

There were a lot of bands rom the 90s and noughties that we might've heard one song but never really got a European following:

Blind Melon, Dynamite Hack, The Offspring, Sixpence Non The Richer (awful name) etc.

Advertisement