Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Hurling League 2022 Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The championship starting in April is madness

Ffs some teams will be done and dusted by the end of April

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

May at worst , its likely to change but i see the hurling championship starting later next year with all the extra football games in the qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Maybe club players will get to play in summer for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah but it won't attract the same crowd and coverage of inter county

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

How many red cards have Limerick received in the league this year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i dont think it should matter , too much of the season is given to the intercounty anyway , but it will be brought forward next year , but all inter county should be finished by the bank holiday in august

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Maybe this year is too much of a squeeze but the split season was 100% needed, anybody that still wants a September All Ireland either doesn't give a damn about the club game or wants it for their own media interests e.g Pat Spillane and Marty Morrissey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,342 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

All forwards too and two of them were retaliation which Limerick are struggling to sort.

Ref was a bit unfair on Gillane though. All through the game before that when the ref kept telling both sides to "cut it out" when it was clearly Clare defenders hanging out of Gillane. There was no both sides.

The red card should have been a penalty for Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Limerick have used the leauge for exactly what it is a pre season competition.

However it has showed them one thing, their strength in depth isn't very deep.

Very few new faces have made an impression bar Cathal O'Neill.

They still have the best 15 in the country, but they would want to make sure they win as much as they can in the next couple of years because it looks like there isn't much coming behind, also other teams are eventually beginning to figure them out tactically.

The most exciting young talent on display yesterday was wearing a Clare jersey, Shane Meehan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Was thinking that myself. They are, by the looks of it, the second best side in Connacht at the moment I would wager for the first time in their history (historically, Roscommon would have been second best after Galway with Mayo overtaking them in the last 10-15 years or so). Less than 10 years ago, they were arguably the worst side in the country as they finished bottom of division 3B for three years straight. In 2017, Meath beat their minors by 51 points in the Minor B championship.

Their manager appears to be a Galway man, Padraig Mannion, from Ballygar. He's managed to bring them from division 3B to 2B and got them to the semi final of the Christy Ring Cup last year.

They need a lot of luck to go their way to make the final. They've to beat Wicklow and hope that Mayo beat Donegal. As Donegal have beaten them already, they're also looking for London to beat Derry so it's a three-way tie for second and they'd need to do enough to come out on top on score difference.

You'd expect that Derry would easily win the final though.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭C4000

While it is definitely needed, there are clearly pros and cons to the split season and the timing of it.

There will only be a total of 10 intercounty hurling matches played in the summer months of June/July/August. It's a big change to that traditional link between the Irish summer and the All-Ireland championships...

All the lower tier competitions will be over in May and several Liam Mccarthy teams will be finished by then also, it's a long gap until the first round of the league the following February.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Shane meehan is a good bit of stuff allright but small ,great leap on him. He's a handful. Cathal O Neill will probably develop into a more significant player than Meehan simply because he's a bigger man and further out the field. He can do almost everything.

Championship starting so early is nuts. Its weird and makes the league a disaster from semi final onwards. Limerick might have timed this perfectly again. They get all the dirty diesel out now

They've won a helluva lot already. 3 in a row in Munster. 3 All Irelands in 4 years aswell. We can only dream of teams like that in Clare. Even the great team we had from 94 to 00 only won 2 All Irelands.. Ceetainly should have been 3 .

I see the bookies still have Galway as second favourites.

While we were probably under rated in recent times we are considerably over rated now.

I think we may lose all our Leinster games and get relegated this year.

Laois will have more than a punchers chance to beat us.

In the three proper league games we scored 0 goals. I don't think we'd have scored a goal if the Cork game went on for two hours. The only chance to get a goal will be 2 forwards outdoing 4 backs as that's what happens when the ball comes in.

Backs giving toxic ball in and like the above, hitting ball into outnumbered forwards(which means there's spare players out the field).

We have 5/6 very good players but nothing of note outside of that. 5 minors lead to next to nothing at senior.. seriously depressing.

We seem to consistently hit high wide counts now and of the last 5-8 competitive games I'd hazard the conversion has generally been about 55%.

All over the place in the backs as well, giving up cheap scores and goals routinely.

I'll see if I can get odds on the Leinster relegation as it'll be value anyway based on the AI betting. Haven't a clue what the bookies are watching with that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is there any decent young fellas coming through for Galway - that make people reach for the match programmes? I have not heard any mentioned. In other years Galway always seem to have 2/3 of them types. Not this crop??

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The only minor who really stood out for me in the sense of becoming a top player was Sean McDonagh.

While he's still young it was maybe a bit worrying he couldn't make the U20 starting team last year. Realistically a top top player should be in the U20 team even on the young side.

The 2020 team was probably the best of them so who knows what we'll salvage from that period, there's still a little bit of time.

I see here that Lee and Killeen were on the minor team in 2020 so that's at least a start, Killeen did look good the last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

While I'd agree that second favourites is questionable on current form, there's no way ye are getting relegated from Leinster. Laois were dire when I saw them two weeks ago and aswell as Laois, you also have to play Westmeath who aren't in Division 1 and have lost two matches in division 2A to Carlow and Down.

Interesting, I wasn't aware there were 6 Leinster teams this year. I see here it was voted before Covid. Can't say I recalled that.

Yeah it's unlikely we'd lose to both but you're seriously overestimating this team if you think they'll definitely best Laois. We nearly lost to them twice with a far better team in recent times and they beat Dublin semi recently.

We're just so poor now they are a good bet in that game.

My thoughts after last year's AI were we were the bottom team of the "contenders" and I've seen nothing this year to change that. One win against a team down a player. Canning leaving brings us down another peg on 2021 and that was a low enough ebb as it was.

It's been a long time but I'd say Cork are finally better than us again, they did beat us in the league many times but they had been behind us for about 14 years.

I think Clare will prove it again in the last round, Kelly is operating at a level above any forward we have. I've read people saying Conor Cooney had a good game at the weekend and he didn't even score from play and hit a fair few wides.. that's what we're operating at this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't think Laois will beat Galway but they have to be most unpredictable team going. Take savage beatings year in year out in the League but find a win from somewhere most years and survive! Underestimate them in the Championship and they can catch you out. It took a 68 minute goal for Waterford to get ahead of them in the championship last year. Clare pipped them by a point the year before with Laois denied a blatant penalty with time almost up and we know what happened to Dublin the year before that....I just cant figure out them at all.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

And also I cant understand how Galway have no young lads coming through, they have won 5 of the last 7 minor All Ireland's! Now I know underage success doesn't always translate, but God with that dominance over the last few years you would think you should have at last 6/7 lads coming onto the starting team that would have serious top level inter-county potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭jacool

I would lay Galway at 1/1 to win Leinster all day long. A resurgent Kilkenny @9/4 would be better value.

Galway showed nothing last Saturday, in a very flat game. They could have gone in level except for their wides, but were second best all night. I didn't see anything from any of the new names except Tiernan Killeen who did loads of work in the half back line. Cork destroyed the under age lot recently as well, so can't see too much coming through there. Hoping Henry has a 3 year plan and the rewards will be reaped in 2024!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

From Armagh vs Roscommon in the NHL at the weekend

Armagh penalised for 2x thrown balls (led to two shots from placed ball 0-01)

Roscommon penalised for 5x thrown balls (led to five shots from placed ball (0-04 including a bad miss)

I think it’s punishment enough that coaches really need to drill it into players to move away from either throwing it, or else to find an alternative pass if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

The refs should be instructed to continue to blow the throw ball and send a clear message to coaches that it is they, the coaches, who are the problem not the refs. It's cheating and needs to be called. Croke Park should back the refs to the hilt by making a public statement and calling on coaches to adhere to the rules. Commentators need to cop on too and stop their criticism of the refs. Fouling, or cheating, must be blown.

Agreed, Daly at the weekend was terrible for this, was arguing that it was somehow the refs to blame for all the stoppages for thrown balls rather than the players throwing it. I think most people will happily take a few weeks of stoppages like that in the league if it leads to a change of habit from players towards proper handpassing. The tendency to give out about "excessive" frees when there's an attempt to clamp down on a problem is one of the major reasons why improvements are so slow to happen in the GAA. That and the quite obvious deference from the GAA towards TV commentators generally (a minor example of this is the fact that we now have those **** yellow sliotars which are absolutely not an improvement at all but were a hobby horse of one guy who happens to have too high a profile in the media so now we're stuck with them, seemingly forever)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,342 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Have to completely disagree on the sliotar thing there. Find the yellow flou much easier to see.

I think they need to get a grip on the position of a free.

We have two qualified refs, wasted on the sideline (in my opinion) and their only job is to mark a free or call a line ball and they can't do either correctly.

Limerick had a free to win the game and they brought it up about 15 metres. It was on the 65, right on the side line and they ended up taking it further in field and further forward.

You could see one of the Clare players calling it out but it feel on deaf ears and thankfully they didn't score it as it wasn't scoreable where it should have been taken from.

Not the first time(recently TJ Reid's free that won the semi was a similar advantageous moving of the ball) and it won't be the last and it's hardly rocket science to mark it properly with three officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Time for the shaving foam to mark the correct spot. Like in the association football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

Agree entirely. Just to add, Daly particularly got to me with his criticism of the ref last Saturday.

As a player with colour-sight issues I find it more difficult to see both in the sky and in the grass. As a spectator it was never a problem in the first place. Again, just MHO. It's not that big a deal, it's more illustrating that this was an idea entirely dreamt up by one person who just went on about it on TV, so they just changed the rules. No other sport would allow commentators to wield such influence over their game rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

And the problem then is the ‘pub chat’ lads follow Daly’s opinion like sheep

Advertisement