Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do all mortgage providers expect you to be employed by the same employer for 12 months?

Options
  • 16-01-2022 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9 GMorgan

I’m in a job now where my 12 months is in May and I will have the deposit ready etc to start applying. However I just applied for the civil service competition and did better than I expected. It looks like I potentially could be offered a job with them before end May. Would this mean I would have to wait another 12 months to get a mortgage offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No, it's more to do with being classed as permanent in a role, until you are in a place 6 months you can be easily let go.

• I don’t think so. The requirement I believe is you need to be in full time continuous employment. I suspect you may need to have passed beyond the probation period (if any) in your new job though.

theres also always the chance depending what job you’re leaving that you might be more attractive in a civil servant role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I was in my job about three months when applying for my mortgage last year. I asked my employer to waive the remainder of my probationary period. Once they provided a letter confirming this to the bank, it was grand.

If your employer won't do this, then you may have an issue. Unfortunately for you, the civil service probably can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same. In some professions it's easier as well. Like for say a software developer it's fairly easy to find another gig if you're let go so banks are more likely to offer an exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

In my own case I was just 2 months in the job-bank (BOI) we’re happy to give mortgage approval but couldn’t draw down until after the 6 month work probation was completed which was fine

• Advertisement

• in fairness too if you need to wait 6 months from May (very annoying) but it’s a chance to save more and may help your application along.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 GMorgan

Thanks everyone for the replies. Had emailed a mortgage broker with the question before but got no reply. I’ll try ringing my bank tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

Advertisement