Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ethics of taking a pig's heart for transplant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So don't have a pig heart transplant if you are marrying gay people? 🤔

I'm not sure about pig and human DNA, but it is well known that pig and elephant DNA just won't splice.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

<quote>I'm not sure about pig and human DNA, but it is well known that pig and elephant DNA just won't splice.</quote>

Just as well, the average weight for an elephant heart is about 12 to 21 kg, that would be some transplant!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

man-bear-pig

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hopefully the surgeon did a good job, and didn't makes a pigs ear out of the operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why not use a human heart, I guess a good heart these days is hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

I won't comment one way or the other about this.

A very insightful / introspective movie I remember though is Okja from 2017 (Korean).

Watch it in HD & Dolby Atmos if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

what do they do with the rest of the pig when it's fulfilled its duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They use every part of the pig except the squeal.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Man gets heart and enjoys bacon sarnie afterwards. Win win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder how you would psychogically feel having an animal heart after a transplant.

I'd imagine it could be nightmarish. I don't think I'd be able to ignore thinking about it for 5 minutes.

Personally I wouldn't take it because I wouldn't be happy.

As another poster said, when your time is up probably best to leave the stage.

Depends on the individual at the end of the day though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

The pig was heard singing “a good heart these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this heart of mine!”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,123 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

would you rather be dead? that was the alternative for this patient.

Only briefly looked over the story myself so apologies if I get the details wrong. But as I understand it:

1) Pigs are used because - surprisingly enough - their hearts are more similar to ours than Chimps and other primates. And the heart in pigs grow to the required size much faster too. 6 months I think is the required time to get it to the size required.

2) There was 10 genetic modifications done to the pig DNA as follows:

3) 4 of these were knocking out genes from the pig DNA - especially one which encodes for a particular molecule known to be a main player in rejection.

4) 1 of these 4 was a growth gene which was knocked out to prevent the heart growing any more inside the human after implantation.

5) The 6 other changes were human genes inserted into the Genome of the pig DNA. All of the modifications that I can see are related to making the heart more friendly to the human immune system response.

6) Interestingly the transplant itself was not the only ground breaking progress here either - though of course it is the headline the public will most be interested in. But at the same time the immune system of the recipient was suppressed by a new experimental drug to prevent rejection. While the heart itself was preserved up until implantation using a new perfusion technology. So two new technologies brought into play there too.

Overall an interesting story.

As to the OPs questions: Not struggling with the ethics of it myself as we already use animals for food and grind up their organs to produce insulin and so on. So finding one more use on top of all that seems relatively irrelevant. What religious concerns have to do with it I am unclear. If - to paraphrase Obamas speech on secularism - the religious can translate their religiously motivated concerns into real world arguments accessible to us all - I am happy to hear them speak on the matter. Other than that - listen to them if you feel like it - and let them off down the ballot box like the rest of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Better pigs than...

Read Kazuo Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go"

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

Butcher what harm is there in trying? The irony though. Say you need a heart transplant because you've eaten too many pork scratchings? Then up steps Mr Porky himself to save your life!

If you do get a pigs heart, don't tell the locals if you go canoeing in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Nothing ethically wrong about it, killed for meat, killed for a life saving operation. If someone told me that there was an outside chance my Dad could live but a genetically altered pig had to die I wouldn't bat an eyelid. In terms of messing with the natural order, we're way past that. We have bred animals exclusively to fit our uses for them for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ah but religion is not the only source of ethical objections to exploiting pig products

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Kill a pig: LEGAL

Eat a pig: LEGAL

Cut out a pigs heart and put it in your body: LEGAL

Perform oral sex on a pig: ILLEGAL

What.

🤯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don’t think vegans and animal rights groups will be too enamoured by the idea

Fúck 'em tbh.

Life ain't always empty.

Well, to be fair, you were well aware that it was illegal, and if you didn't want to get into trouble for it, you shouldn't have videoed yourself doing it and posted it to tiktok.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's legal to perform oral sex on a pig if (a) the pig is dead and (b) you are a future Prime Minister.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Yeah all the religious stuff is "when its your time to go it's your time to go". Stop taking man made medicines then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 40,123 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

do you think they did it without his permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

From a medical ethics perspective it’s justifiable -

Medical ethics experts allege the separation between the legal and healthcare systems 'exists for good reason'. 

'We have a legal system designed to determine just redress for crimes,' said Scott Halpern, a medical ethics professor at the University of Pennsylvania. 'And we have a health-care system that aims to provide care without regard to people's personal character or history.' 

'The key principle in medicine is to treat anyone who is sick, regardless of who they are,' Arthur Caplan, a bioethics professor at New York University, echoed. 'We are not in the business of sorting sinners from saints. Crime is a legal matter.' 

I’d prefer medicine didn’t go down the route of needing to assess whether or not to treat a patient based upon their own assessment of the patients moral character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

FYP

It's legal to put your penis into a pig's mouth if (a) the pig is dead and (b) you are a future Prime Minister.

No pig, dead or alive, received oral sex from the future PM.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement